Help with 3-day Interlaken/Lucern itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 22:32:44 #812576

Hi, Visiting Switzerland 22-25 August with spouse, two teenagers & a 10yr. Will aim to reach Interlaken or Lucerne from Zurich late afternoo……Looking to spend 3 days in Interlaken and Lucerne: Want to visit Jungraouch possibly from Interlaken, another close by peak (?Pilatus, Rigi?) near Lucerne, want to experience a cog-wheel train, cable car. But also looking for a short biking tour in either town ideally in the setting of Alps rather than inner town, whichever town is more recommended as well as a short hiking trail anywhere. Flying back on 4th day. I know difficult to cram up in 3 days but any help to experience these few things (especially suggestions on bike tours and short hike trails) will be appreciated! Sid!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 9:20:21 #866580

Hi szaidi20 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Jungfraujoch can be reached from Interlaken or a smaller town in the Jungfrau region noted on our page, getting to the Jungfraujoch.

From Luzern, a popular mountain to visit would be Mt. Pilatus. Visiting these two mountains would give you a great cable car cog wheel experience.

For hiking options in Luzern click here, and for the Jungfrau region click here. What kind of cycling experience are you looking for? flat gravel or road trips or mountain biking?

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 11:14:23 #866581

Thanks Lucas; that was v helpful. For biking: looking ideally for flat road tours, gravely ok too. MSteep mountain climbs will be tough for family. Any tours in Lucerne or nearby? Also, between Pilatus and Titlis, what would be your choice? Lastly, Lucerne to interlaken…is that a long train ride? Thnx much!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 12:09:07 #866582

Have a look on Luzern’s tourism site here for some bike tour information – you could try contacting them as well for more details. I don’t know anything more specific other than renting a bike and exploring the city – they do have city maps with trails available at the tourism office I believe.

I think Mt. Pilatus maybe. Both are great but the round-trip to Mt. Pilatus, explained here, is really cool.

Luzern to Interlaken by train is just under 2 hours. You can search the train timetable here to make you trip plans.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 12:45:22 #866583

Answers pretty much everything I was looking for. Thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 4:26:06 #866584

Sorry, one other question I forgot to ask: ua worth if going to Tilis from Lucerne AND Jungfra from Interlaken? I mean is the experience massively different? Just trying to have an idea if it makes sense to have 2 bases on a 3-day trip? If Titlis/Pilates give a true mountain experience with cable cars/cog wheel trains, maybe better to keep just one base?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 9:00:51 #866585

Well the Jungfraujoch is quite a unique experience – nothing quite like it considering how high you are.

But Mt. Titlis and Mt. Pilatus give you great mountain experiences too, and with the limited time you have I would be tempted to skip Jungfraujoch this time around – or just do Interlaken and Jungfraujoch on this trip if you don’t think you will be back to Switzerland.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 11:03:49 #866586

👍👍Thnx again.

• The thread ‘Help with 3-day Interlaken/Lucern itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.