Help with itinerary for 6 days in September 2016

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 7:24:30 #809885

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Switzerland from September 7th to September 12th with my husband and 6 year old son. This is our first Europe trip. We are Indian family travelling from Dubai .We have made the hotel bookings and will also have 8 day Swiss pass.We will be staying 4 Nights in Lucerne and one night in Zurich.We are interested in scenic trips ,towns ,beautiful villages and snow fun. Not wanted to do any hiking as our son is not interested in long walkings.

Below is the itinerary we are planning to execute. Any advice, suggestions or recommendations would be of GREAT help and very much appreciated to make the trip better.

Day 1:Sep 7th Wed- Zurich-Lucerne

Arrival at Zurich Airport at 7 am.

Planning to visit Zurich Town or Rhine falls for half day.(which one will be better after an overnight journey?)

What all can we cover in half a day in Zurich Town?

Travel to Lucerne afternoon.

After check in explore Lucerne for the rest of the day -(town and other attractions)

Day 2:Sep 8th Thu-Jungfrau/Mt Titlis-Bern-depending on climate

If climate in both places are favorable for a visit which one should we opt for?

We prefer to visit Mt.Titlis first but read that Sep 9th and Sep 10th is Jungfrau marathon so better to stay away from these location on both days so wont be possible to visit Jungfrau other days in that case .is it correct?

If going to Titlis Is it possible to include Bern town after Mt Titlis trip?

We understood that Jungfrau is far from Lucerne and need 10 hours of journey up and down, still wanted to try as we dont want to miss this place and also as have not planned for any other long trips by train.

With swiss pass we will get only 25% discount right. So from which station do we need to purchase the ticket to Jungfrau train? Is the below route correct?

Luzern-interlaken-lauterbrunen-kleine Scheidegg-Jungfrau

Jungfrau-kleine Scheidegg-grindelwald-interlaken-luzern

Day 3:Sep 9th Fri-

These are the places we like to visit.

Lake Brienz, Giessbach falls,Brienz Rothorn ,Brienz town,Ballenberg Museum,InterLaken

I have made two plans checking the boating and rothorn bahn timetable but dont know if it is doable. Please suggest and help me to plan this day as am confused .

option1:

Lucerne-Interlaken-boating-Brienz-Rothorn bahn-Brienz Town-Ballenberg museum

any chance to include giessbach falls? Is it worth visiting?

option2:

Lucerne-Brienz-Rothorn bahn-Brienz Town-Ballenberg Museum-Giessbach falls(by bus)-Interlaken(by boat board from giessbach falls)

All the lake trips reports that i read are from Interlaken to Brienz than from Brienz to Interlaken. Any particular reason for that?.

And which time on the day will be better for boat trips morning or afternoon?

Day 4: Sep 10thSat-Mt Titlis/Jungfrau(depending on climate)

Day 5:Sep 11th Sunday

Bern Town ,Zurich(If we dont get time to visit Bern on other days)

or

Bern,Gruyere village,Maison Cailler Chocolate factory,Zurich

Hope we can visit chocolate factory on Sunday. So plan for the day

Checkout from Lucerne.Travel to Bern(deposit luggage in station)

Bern-Gruyere Village -chocolate factory

or

Bern-Chocolate factory-Gruyere (which order is better?)

Finally to Zurich,checkin and visit Zurich Town.

Day 6:Sep 12th Monday

Check out and to airport to catch the morning flight

Fly back.

Thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 August 2016 at 15:21:33 #855150

Welcome to MySwissAlps Sndreamtrip!

For Zurich, please see myswissalps.com/ zurich.

Day 3: you’re planning to do too much here. Just the museum can take a full day. Of course you can choose to stay a few hours only, but still you can’t do all of that in a day. Just check the weather and decide on the day.

Any boat trip on Lake Brienz is fine, whatever suits your plans for the day.

The map shows where the Swiss Travel Pass is valid. If you zoom in you can see that it’s free to Wengen and Grindelwald and 25% discounted from there. You can buy the discounted ticket at any staffed train station. Note that a trip to Jungfraujoch from Lucerne and back takes 9 hours of traveling, so at least 12 hours including sightseeing. Titlis is much closer.

Please see here for how to purchase your Swiss Travel Pass (the Swiss Pass is not for tourists). The easiest way it to visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address you need to select the “Online Ticket” delivery option from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass in 1-3 business days. You can print it at home. That will save you time on arrival as you can board your first train immediately.

I hope this was useful!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2016 at 9:14:33 #855151

Arno,

Thanks for the reply .And definitely it is useful.

I agree with you Day 3 i have loaded with too much So changed the plan and it will be like

Lucern to Brienz ->Brienz to Rothorn,-> Visit Brienz town -> Catch Last boat to Interlaken. Hope this is doable

Please help with two more queries

1. Is it possible to visit Bern town on same day of Titlis trip?

2. day 5 : since it is Sunday.i mean which place to visit first? Gruyere village or Chocolate factory

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 August 2016 at 13:01:40 #855152

Hi Sndreamtrip,

Yes, your new plan is much better. You’ll be able to take your time to enjoy it all.

1. Yes, if you don’t mind brief visits and starting your day early. Bern is about an hour from Lucerne.

2. The chocolate factory is open 7 days a week. Gruyères village too. A few shops might be closed on Sundays, but I don’t think so as they depend on tourists.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2016 at 5:08:18 #855153

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your suggestions.

• The thread ‘Help with itinerary for 6 days in September 2016’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.