Help with Swiss travel plan with Lucerne as base

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2017 at 18:25:33 #810761

Hi all,

New to this forum. Needed help to plan my 4 day anniversary trip with Lucerne as base 8th march to 11th March-2017. Based on initial research, I found Mt Pilatus, Interlaken, Jungfrau, Rigi, Zurich,Kleine Scheidegg & Grindelwald interesting.

Here is my draft plan:

March 8th: Mt,Pilatus in the afternoon and after 7 pm walk around Lucerne and the Chapel bridge etc.

March 9th: Interlaken, Jungfrau and Kleine Scheidegg ( day trip 7 am onwards..am I being over ambitious?)

March 10th: Day trip to Zurich ( thought Friday would be a happening day in the city

March 11: Rigi, boat ride Lucerne lake ( to be frank I am open for suggestions to fill in this day, advise needed for better options Eg: Places with Swiss Village/Rural backdrop would be awesome after hectic mountain trips 🙂 )

To cover all these places which train pass is advisable for me and my wife. I have seen swiss travel pass for $220 per person. would that be economical? please advise. Thank you in Advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2017 at 21:21:13 #858783

Here is my suggestion added to your trip plan

March 8th: Mt. Pilatus in the afternoon and after 7 pm walk around Lucerne and the Chapel bridge etc. – See Sleeping lion and Mary church by lake

March 9th: Interlaken, Jungfrau and Kleine Scheidegg ( day trip 7 am onwards..am I being over ambitious?)___If you go interlaken via Bern – I suggest go directly Kleine Scheidegg Via Wengen, its nice place to grab lunch and then go on the top of Jungfrau Spend some time (1.5-2 hr on top) come back via Grindelwald – then go to interlaken see lake and famous Yash chopra statue in center then take ferry to Thun ( its about 45 min) and from Thun take train to Bern – if you still have energy you can take nice dinner in bern and see Parlament house and clock tower at night and take train to Lucern

March 10th: Day trip to Zurich ( thought Friday would be a happening day in the city – you can also do small ferry on lake its 1.5 hour

March 11: Rigi, boat ride Lucerne lake ( to be frank I am open for suggestions to fill in this day, advise needed for better options Eg: Places with Swiss Village/Rural backdrop would be awesome after hectic mountain trips 🙂 )…I think there is new attraction by rigi (Trift Bridge) you can go there.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 February 2017 at 8:17:21 #858784

Welcome to MySwissAlps Devanand16 and Unnatiparikh!

I added some links to Unnatiparikh’s post; you can find more information by visiting those pages. The Trift bridge is not near Mount Rigi by the way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2017 at 17:45:33 #858785

Can I use Swiss pass to get on any train/bus/boat within Switzerland? Can I use that for my travel from Basel to Paris too?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2017 at 17:47:00 #858786

Thank you Unnatiparikh!Info was helpful. If I were to decide upon one of the following which one would that be: Pilatus/Titlus/Rigi?

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 February 2017 at 18:22:11 #858787

Hi Devanand16,

A Swiss Pass is for Swiss residents only; you will need a Swiss Travel Pass instead, which is a pas for tourists. Everything covered can be found on the map. Basel to Paris is in France, so that’s not covered. You can buy tickets for that trip here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 February 2017 at 20:33:56 #858788

Hi Devanand16 –

<<“March 8th: Mt. Pilatus in the afternoon and after 7 pm walk around Lucerne and the Chapel bridge etc. – See Sleeping lion and Mary church by lake”>>

On March 8, sunset time in Luzern is 1822

The Lion is open 24 hours per day.

Here is a rural area that I like to walk in – the Emmental It is not hard to reach from Luzern. However, in March, trails may not be passable. The show dairy at Affoltern im Emmental will be open.

This thread has a lot of pictures:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/langnau-in-may

Scroll down to the post on April 16th.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Help with Swiss travel plan with Lucerne as base’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.