Help with the train and Mt Titlis fares

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2011 at 3:57:56 #804827

Hi,
    I live is Saarbrücken in Germany and planning to visit Interlaken and Mt Titlis in July 1st week with my wife. I am a little confused with what kind of pass or tickets i should buy for our trip..

Here is the summary of my trip :
    3rd July : Reach Interlaken. Stay for the remaining day there and roam around in the nearby places. Night stay at Interlaken.
    4th July : Take train from Interlaken to Engelberg (Train price 67 CHF for 1 adult) + 8.5 CHF for returning to luzern in the
    evening after visiting Mt. Titlis (98 CHF including ice flyer)
    OR Interlaken – Bern (26 CHF) + Bern – Luzern (15 CHF saver ticket) + luzern passepassout day pass (for 16.4
    CHF) or can i take luzerncity card 48 Hrs (CHF 27) to travel till engelberg (Does it comes under Luzern zone) and
    then use it on the next day to roam around in luzern.
    4th July Night stay is in luzern.
    5th July : Roam around on luzern till 3 PM as we have our train back at 3:30 PM from luzern.

My main query is like if i should take half fare card. I am sure any kind of swiss pass or swiss card are going to cost us more.

Or is there any other option i could take. I found one day pass for arnd CHF 54(after 9:00) but that comes only over half fare card.

From where i could buy those passes and tickets for Mt Titlis.

I would appreaciate any kind of help or suggestions from the members here. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Ashish

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    24 June 2011 at 11:44:03 #834609

Hello Ashish, and welcome! In your case, the price difference between regular tickets versus a Swiss Half Fare Card isn’t that big: regular tickets would be about CHF 10,00 cheaper per person than discounted tickets with the Swiss Half Fare Card. But that’s based only on the trips you listed. If you plan to make a short trip on your last day in Luzern, or use some local transportation there, a Swiss Half Fare Card will quickly become cost effective as the price difference is that small.

Day cards are available indeed, but only combined with the Swiss Half Fare Card, and you won’t need them. You’ll find detailed information at the Swiss Half Fare Card page. Purchase options are listed there as well, under the header ‘Where to buy your Swiss Half Fare Card’. Just fill out your country of residence and other data to find out how to purchase the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Tickets for the Titlis don’t have to be purchased in advance, but if you want to, you can order them online along with your Swiss Half Fare Card. Click ‘add more tickets’ during the order process to get to an overview of excursions, including the Titlis.

I hope this answers some questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2011 at 6:22:55 #834610

Hello Annika,
    Thanks a lot for your reply… It really helps a lot us to decide many things… I have one more question : Is the Luzern City card of 24 Hrs or 48 Hrs validity is applicable to travel from luzern to Engelberg also??
    I read somewhere on the website that both are under same zone? Is this right??

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Best Regards,
    Ashish

Annika
    7121 posts
    26 June 2011 at 7:07:56 #834611

Hi Ashish. Here‘s a list of discounts offered by the LucerneCard. The train ride to Engelberg is for free up to Hergiswil.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2012 at 0:19:56 #834612

Hi there,

I will be visiting Mount Titlis in March. How much do i need to pay from Engelberg-Titlis-Engelberg?

Ashikin

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 January 2012 at 5:49:08 #834613

Hi ashikin,

Please review this and this topic.

• The thread ‘Help with the train and Mt Titlis fares’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.