Highway from Andermatt to Silva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2014 at 19:58:13 #806232

We will be driving from Zurich to Silva on June 18. What is the road like from Andermatt to Silva? I read something about a train – we do NOT have to take a car-train do we? Is the road open at that time? Is it treacherous? Please send information or tell me where to find it. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    5 February 2014 at 9:18:37 #839486

Hi varina,

I’m curious: where is Silva situated? Perhaps you mean Silvaplana?

Anyhow, if your question concerns the Oberalp Pass: the road from Andermatt in the direction of Chur is of a good quality. Under normal conditions it will be open in June, so no car-train needed. Driving there is not dangerous or treacherous that time of year, if you are a bit familiar with driving in mountainous areas.
    If not, this page on MySwissAlps may be useful.

Enjoy your stay,

Wandermann

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2014 at 14:36:50 #839487

Hi Wandermann and thanks.The B and B we’ve reserved is in Sedrun/Silva in the Surselva Valley, east of Andermatt. I think you’re talking about the right road. I reserved this BNB because it was less expensive and near Andermatt but now I’m worrying about how far and what kind of drive between the two. I’ll check the link you gave me too. Thanks. varina

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2014 at 14:46:48 #839488

Hello again. I just read the link about driving in the mountains which is helpful but also scares me. When I was in my 20s I drove a lot in the Alps but now I’m 72, so more nervous about the driving. I assume if I take it slowly and carefully we’ll be OK. Won’t be doing any night driving. thanks again. varina

Arno
    15481 posts
    5 February 2014 at 15:58:15 #839489

Hello Varina,

I guess you’re talking about Selva, a tiny settlement about 2 miles before Sedrun. It’s a 30 minute drive from Andermatt across the Oberalp Pass that Wandermann mentioned.

There’s a nearby train stop called Tschamut-Selva, so you can take trains across the pass as well. See the timetable for details.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    5 February 2014 at 19:26:16 #839490

Hi varina,

Is it indeed Selva instead of Silva?
    In that case we are indeed talking about the Oberalp Pass. I don’t know about your driving skills.
    I’ve been driving there and I would say: don’t be nervous, just be careful!

Enjoy!

Wandermann

• The thread ‘Highway from Andermatt to Silva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.