Hike from Schynige Platte to First? Or reverse?

• Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    19 July 2017 at 11:15:40 #812662

Which direction should I go? Most seem to go from First to Schynige Platte . Any reason? Looks like less elevation climb going opposite direction,starting from Schynige Platte. Mark

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 15:16:03 #867035

Hi Marki,

I’ve read the following before about this route: The trail can be hiked from either direction. My preference is to start at First, which is higher than Schynige Platte and closer to the Faulhorn, the high point on the hike. This way you get down from the high point earlier in the day, always a good idea when hiking in the
    mountains.

Other than that note, you can travel in either direction on this route.
    I found another website with a hike description here about starting in Schynige Platte.

I hope that helps!

Lucas

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    20 July 2017 at 2:10:42 #867036

Thanks, guess I’ll go from First to SP as overall less elevation loss and the trains at SP stay open latter than the chairlift at First. Mark

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    20 July 2017 at 19:21:13 #867037

I’ve done the hike maybe 20 times and really prefer SP to First direction. The views are more in front of you that way. Also there is more downhill than uphill in the First to SP direction. Which you may like but I find quite tedious.

• The thread ‘Hike from Schynige Platte to First? Or reverse?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.