Hike Birg - Schiltalp - Allmendhubel

Hike Birg - Schiltalp - Allmendhubel

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Swissann
Swissann
9 posts
Jul 22, 2016 - 7:43 AM

We've arrived in Murren and have had two wonderful days of hiking. I have a question on how to visit the huts in Schiltalp where cheeses are made. Rather than hiking the North Face traill, is it possible to hike from the Birg station to Schiltalp and then continue down to Allemendhubel. If so, how easy is it? We like to hike but usually do the easy trails. Thanks for any advice!

Arno
Arno
7716 posts
expert &
Jul 24, 2016 - 10:21 AM

Hi Swissann,

It's definitely possible, although you might as well end your hike in Mürren rather than Allmendhubel. It's quite a descend, hard on the knees! I haven't done that trail so I don't have much details. Here's a map that might help.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2652 posts
expert
Jul 24, 2016 - 4:01 PM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno-

You're right about the knees.

On my first few trips to Switzerland, when I was a lot younger, I found out that a steep 700 meter descent....or even a not so steep one...would have my knees in trouble before I got to the bottom, and, would leave them sore for a few days.

I learned to do my serious downhills after a few easier ones, or else, arrive with my knees already in shape.

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
7716 posts
expert &
Jul 24, 2016 - 6:18 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Yes indeed. Steep down hill is definitely worse than steep uphill. Hiking poles help, but still ascending is better, if one has the choice.

Swissann
Swissann
9 posts
Jul 24, 2016 - 8:30 PM

Thank you all for your sound advice!

Will plan our hikes accordingly!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016