Hike Birg – Schiltalp – Allmendhubel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2016 at 7:43:06 #809739

We’ve arrived in Murren and have had two wonderful days of hiking. I have a question on how to visit the huts in Schiltalp where cheeses are made. Rather than hiking the North Face traill, is it possible to hike from the Birg station to Schiltalp and then continue down to Allemendhubel. If so, how easy is it? We like to hike but usually do the easy trails. Thanks for any advice!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    24 July 2016 at 10:21:40 #854468

Hi Swissann,

It’s definitely possible, although you might as well end your hike in Mürren rather than Allmendhubel. It’s quite a descend, hard on the knees! I haven’t done that trail so I don’t have much details. Here's a map that might help.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 July 2016 at 16:01:31 #854469

Hi Arno-

You’re right about the knees.

On my first few trips to Switzerland, when I was a lot younger, I found out that a steep 700 meter descent….or even a not so steep one…would have my knees in trouble before I got to the bottom, and, would leave them sore for a few days.

I learned to do my serious downhills after a few easier ones, or else, arrive with my knees already in shape.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15478 posts
    24 July 2016 at 18:18:13 #854470

Yes indeed. Steep down hill is definitely worse than steep uphill. Hiking poles help, but still ascending is better, if one has the choice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2016 at 20:30:26 #854471

Thank you all for your sound advice!

Will plan our hikes accordingly!

• The thread ‘Hike Birg – Schiltalp – Allmendhubel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.