Hikes from Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2015 at 12:58:25 #807440

I am travelling to Wengen next week, I am wondering if the Schynige Platte – Faulhorn – First hike is worth travelling to from Wengen or would it be too far to travel in one day? Also, will there be too much snow next week to do the hike? Are there groups I can go with on the hike, or will I have to do it alone? Thank you 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 June 2015 at 18:39:12 #843935

<<“I am travelling to Wengen next week, I am wondering if the Schynige Platte – Faulhorn – First hike is worth travelling to from Wengen or would it be too far to travel in one day? Also, will there be too much snow next week to do the hike? Are there groups I can go with on the hike, or will I have to do it alone? Thank you :)”>>

Can’t comment on the snow, but the other trails at 2200-2300 meters were open last week. There was a hot spelliin early June that helped melt the snow. The moderators probably can guide you.

Not sure I have my names straight, but I recall that you may be an experienced hiker comfortable at high altitudes. That is useful for this hike.

The hike starts at about 2100 meters, ascends to Faulhorn at 2681 meters, and descends to First at 2166 meters. It is a strenuous hike.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/first-schynigeplatte

You’ll see a 6 hour time listed for the hike ( in the other direction). Friends who are in god shape and hike (slowly but ) frequently say that 6 hrs is only good for experienced hikers ; it can take longer if you tire at high altitude.

If you leave Wengen on the 0833 train it will take you 1 hour 44 minutes to get to Schynige Platte, via trains to Lauterbrunnen and Wilderswil. There is a train at 0642 that will get you there by 0817.

Check the SBB timetable –

fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/qu ery.exe/en?

First to Wengen takes 1 hr 51 minutes or 2 hours, via Zweilütschinen or Kleine Scheidegg.

NOTE carefully -The last departure is at 1700 hours.

Last departure from Schynige Platte, if you walk the reverse direction, is 1753 hours, with 1 hour 58 minutes to Wengen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2015 at 20:48:18 #843936

Thank you! Would you suggest any other must do hikes near Wengen?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 June 2015 at 23:57:58 #843937

<<“Thank you! Would you suggest any other must do hikes near Wengen?”>>

Take a look at the options in the latter part of this report:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Please reconfirm your high altitude hiking experience, to help with further suggestions.

• The thread ‘Hikes from Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.