Easy to moderate hikes near Zermatt in June

• Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    1 June 2016 at 23:15:52 #809332

We would like to take some easy to moderate hikes during our stay in Zermatt (June 16 and June 17). We looked at the suggestions on the MySwissAlps website. We would like to go downhill if possible. Which of the following hikes would you recommend for the best scenery that is not too challenging? We had an amazing experience hiking from Mannlichen to Kliene Scheidegg last September. Thank you.

1. Rotenboden to Riffelalp

2. Riffelalp to Riffelsee

3. Blauherd to Sunnega

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 June 2016 at 11:40:12 #852547

Hi Travelbug53,

Option 1 and 2 are the same hikes. Option 1 is down, option 2 is up. The Riffelsee is near the Rotenboden train stop. This area is currently still covered in snow, so I don’t expect you can hike there mid June. Might be fine, but probably not. July to September is the best season for high elevation walks. The same applies to Blauherd.

Lower trails like Furi to Zermatt, and probably around Sunnegga and into the Zmutt valley will be fine. You can get the latest information from the tourist office. There will be plenty of options, but the highest trails will be inaccessible.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 June 2016 at 1:37:37 #852548

<<“We had an amazing experience hiking from Mannlichen to Kliene Scheidegg last September. Thank you.”>>

One of the best.

Would you do it in the other direction?

Slowpoke

Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    6 June 2016 at 3:27:30 #852549

Yes it is! Last year, I received great advice from the MySwissAlps moderators suggesting that I do the hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg instead of the other way because we were going downhill. I think I prefer downhill! I still see those glorious views in my mind’s eye.

• The thread ‘Easy to moderate hikes near Zermatt in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.