Easy to moderate hikes near Zermatt in June

Easy to moderate hikes near Zermatt in June

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Travelbug53
Travelbug53
38 posts
Jun 1, 2016 - 11:15 PM

We would like to take some easy to moderate hikes during our stay in Zermatt (June 16 and June 17). We looked at the suggestions on the MySwissAlps website. We would like to go downhill if possible. Which of the following hikes would you recommend for the best scenery that is not too challenging? We had an amazing experience hiking from Mannlichen to Kliene Scheidegg last September. Thank you.

1. Rotenboden to Riffelalp

2. Riffelalp to Riffelsee

3. Blauherd to Sunnega

Arno
Arno
7725 posts
expert &
Jun 2, 2016 - 11:40 AM

Hi Travelbug53,

Option 1 and 2 are the same hikes. Option 1 is down, option 2 is up. The Riffelsee is near the Rotenboden train stop. This area is currently still covered in snow, so I don't expect you can hike there mid June. Might be fine, but probably not. July to September is the best season for high elevation walks. The same applies to Blauherd.

Lower trails like Furi to Zermatt, and probably around Sunnegga and into the Zmutt valley will be fine. You can get the latest information from the tourist office. There will be plenty of options, but the highest trails will be inaccessible.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2657 posts
expert
Jun 3, 2016 - 1:37 AM in reply to Travelbug53

<<"We had an amazing experience hiking from Mannlichen to Kliene Scheidegg last September. Thank you.">>

One of the best.

Would you do it in the other direction?

Slowpoke

Travelbug53
Travelbug53
38 posts
Jun 6, 2016 - 3:27 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Yes it is! Last year, I received great advice from the MySwissAlps moderators suggesting that I do the hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg instead of the other way because we were going downhill. I think I prefer downhill! I still see those glorious views in my mind's eye.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016