Hiking 1 week – Fly into Geneva or Basel?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

oxymore
    Participant
    13 posts
    20 June 2016 at 20:40:56 #852892

Ok thanks, i think I can use the hostel confirmation to get there on the bus so hopefully that will work out

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 June 2016 at 21:03:09 #852893

Hi oxymore-

<<“Ok thanks, i think I can use the hostel confirmation to get there on the bus so hopefully that will work out”>>

I would be surprised if the hostel confirmation has any effect on the bus fare or tram fare in Basel.

Slowpoke

oxymore
    Participant
    13 posts
    21 June 2016 at 0:04:45 #852894

I don’t know but some of the hostels seem to state that you can use the booking confirmation for the bus to the hotel and then they will give you a mobility pass to use the local transport for free after that. I don’t know if it it’ll work but a lot of them seem to say that!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 June 2016 at 0:15:39 #852895

<<“I don’t know but some of the hostels seem to state that you can use the booking confirmation for the bus to the hotel and then they will give you a mobility pass to use the local transport for free after that.”>>

Great – good to hear.

Hope it works.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 June 2016 at 5:20:49 #852896

A printed reservation may indeed work. Please find details here: myswissalps.com/ basel/travel.

oxymore
    Participant
    13 posts
    2 July 2016 at 0:28:49 #852897

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for all your advice, everything worked out well in the end and the trip was amazing! In the end I stayed in Grindelwald for 4 days and Lauterbrunnen for the rest of the 4 days. I’ve attached my hikes below, hopefully it might be helpful in case anyone is doing a similar trip in future! Hope to go back some time again soon as there were plenty I missed out such as going up to Glecksteinhütte , First to Faulhorn and up to Schynige Platte and Männlichen and loads of other walks around Mürren to Lobhornhütte which is on the list for next time! I did feel both towns were pretty but very touristy but then if you’re on your own I guess it was a great way to meet people and the further you walk, the less tourists there are! I think maybe next time if I knew where I was going or someone with me who knew then a town to town route would be better rather than having the same base for a few days.

1. Arrived Basel Airport – stayed 1 night in a city hostel. Free mobility pass for local transport if you are staying in a hotel in the area so you can use your accommodation printout to show this although the bus driver didn’t actually check anyones tickets. Took train to Grindelwald the following morning which took about 3hrs

2. Arrived in Grindelwald early afternoon and did a small hike to Pfingstegg via cable car which took about 1h45min and had a gorgeous view of the valley with Grindelwald and then turning the corner round the mountain a lovely view of the mountains and glacier.

3. Took the train up to Jungfraujoch. Only thing I really thought was worth doing up here was the walk up to Mönchsjochhütte which is the highest occupied hut in Switzerland apparently. Good view of climbers going up the Trugberg(?) and a great view of the surrounding glaciers. Seemed to be groups of people also going up the Mönch

4. Took a bus to Grosse Scheidegg and then a stunning leisurely walk to First, Bachalpsee and then cable car down back to Grindelwald. Path to Faulhorn was closed due to snow otherwise that would’ve been a walk I would’ve really liked to do. Walk to First was really pretty with a panoramic view of the entire Jungfrau mountain range.

5. Starting from Grindelwald a path before the station to the left leads to Alpiglen then up to Kleine Scheidegg and then down to Wengen. This was fairly long and all the way up for 3hrs or so, about 7hrs in total, but great view of the Eiger without getting too close which I imagine you wouldn’t get quite as good a view on the Eiger trail. Also good view of Mönch and Jungfrau.

6. Cloudy lazy day today after the long walk the day before so just took a bus up to Bussalp and did a little walk around there. Couldn’t really see anything anyway due to the cloud but looks like there would be a nice view into the valley on a clear day. Apparently it’s quite scenic at Feld if you walk that way.

7. Now starting from Lauterbrunnen, took a train to Schynige Platte via Wilderswil which is fairly costly but worth the views once you get up there overlooking Interlaken and the lakes. There is a really nice 2hr walk or shorter ones once you get up there, or if it’s open and you have all day you can walk to First. Walked down to Breitlauenen which took about 1hr and then took the train back to Schnynige Platte which makes the fare slightly cheaper. Saw a girl who had been walking up for 5hrs and still hadn’t got up the summit, probably not worth doing as I hear it’s mostly just forest. Then walked back to Lauterbrunnen which is a pretty 2hr walk along the river. You could do this on the way there instead of the way back if you start early.

7. Took the cable from Lauterbrunnen up to Mürren and walked to the Rotstockhütte and then to the Sefinenfurgge pass and back. This was pretty much all day also. The people I were following went over the pass and stayed in Grisalp for the night. Felt I could have done with a walking stick whilst going over the multiple snow fields though!

8. Took a bus to Steckelburg Hotel and then went up to Obersteinberg and then up to Oberhornsee which also had a small amount of snow just before the lake but I thought it was really worth going up to the lake if you have time as it was very pretty and the views were spectacular! Another all day trip though and there was a lot of going up!

9. Checked out and spent 45mins up at Trummelbach Falls which I thought was very nice especially if you like waterfalls and being able to check out the tons of glacier drainage from the inside. Took the train to Geneva Airport which took about 3h30m

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 July 2016 at 0:47:02 #852898

Hi Oxymore – thanks for the useful report.

You are a more ambitious hiker than I. 😉 There are, however, many who can appreciate your comments and do some of those hikes.

Glad that you could do the walks you described. Go back in September…the trails will be open and you’ll have even more stunning hikes.

Slowpoke

oxymore
    Participant
    13 posts
    2 July 2016 at 1:00:59 #852899

No worries, this is probably the first proper hiking i’ve done so I started off with some easier ones and then met some interesting people that convinced me to do a bit more and the views were so rewarding and the trails well signposted and maintained even the long ones weren’t too bad if you take your time. I was lucky that the weather was sunny most of the time with a few exceptions. I was very impressed by the organisation of the trails and public transport etc, wish UK was a bit more like it! I can’t wait to go back, September sounds like a good idea although plan is now to do the Amalfi coast in October so we shall see!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 July 2016 at 1:19:17 #852900

<<“the views were so rewarding and the trails well signposted and maintained even the long ones weren’t too bad if you take your time. I was lucky that the weather was sunny most of the time with a few exceptions. I was very impressed by the organisation of the trails and public transport etc,”>>

I always find it surprising and pleasing just how well the country works. As you note- it is impressive.

Slowpoke

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The thread ‘Hiking 1 week – Fly into Geneva or Basel?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.