Hiking Eiger Trail and Jungfraujoch in August

• CdnHikerGirl
    Participant
    3 posts
    26 April 2017 at 19:24:08 #811565

Hi – I’ve been doing a bit of research but it gets a bit confusing, this is my first trip to Switzerland. I’m staying in Wengen for 3 days in August. I’d like to hike (up route) Eiger Trail and in the same day visit the Jungfraujoch (Top of Europe). Any suggestions on how best to do this, i.e. train routes, which stops, which to do first, etc. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 April 2017 at 18:21:39 #862299

Welcome to MySwissAlps CdnHikerGirl!

The Eiger Trail starts at the train stop Alpiglen, which is between Kleine Scheidegg and Grindelwald. If you prefer to hike up, which makes sense, you would start in Alpiglen and end your hike 2.5 hours later at the train stop Eigergletscher. Trains to Jungfraujoch depart from there.

All of this does requires a day with clear skies. Train schedules are in the Swiss timetable.

CdnHikerGirl
    Participant
    3 posts
    27 April 2017 at 18:27:33 #862300

Thanks for this, it’s exactly the breakdown I was looking for. I have flexibility in timing and I’m just jotting down possible hikes/sights and will decide what to do when there depending on weather. This is my first solo hiking trip so a bit daunting in the planning but will be worth it once I’m out on the trails. Thanks again – this is a great forum.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    27 April 2017 at 23:24:35 #862301

Hi,

Alternatively, because it flows a bit better, go from Wengen to the Jungfraujoch first, then on the way back, get off the Jungfraubahn at the Eigergletscher station which is the starting point for the Eiger Trail and walk down hill from there to Alpiglen, then catch the train back to Wengen. You could also start by taking the cable car to Männlichen and walking to Kleine Scheidegg before going up the Jungfraujoch.

Of course, if you like long, up hill hikes, your original plan is just fine.

Cheers

Alan

CdnHikerGirl
    Participant
    3 posts
    28 April 2017 at 13:18:00 #862302

Hi Alan – thanks for the additional suggestion, I’ll add it to my possibilities. I did read about going downhill but I’m looking for something a bit more challenging for this one. I’ll have other easy hike days throughout the trip but it’s always good to have choices. Any suggestions for Zermatt? I’m only there a couple of days and planning on also doing the cable car from Zermatt to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise but would like to get a couple hikes in. Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 16:27:40 #862303

Hi CdnHikerGirl, nice to welcome a fellow Canadian to the forum!

Have a look at our what to do page in Zermatt for a nice list of possible hikes in the area.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Hiking Eiger Trail and Jungfraujoch in August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.