Hiking from Tiefencastel to St. Moritz

• Raymoz
    Participant
    6 posts
    22 January 2017 at 12:47:42 #810636

Hi,

i’m planning to walk from Thusis to St. Moritz. At Tiefencastel i have to options, i can walk thru Filisur, Bergunn or follow the Via Sett to Savognin. Does anyone have sugestions? I’m not a “summit” kind of hiker. I like it more green and walk amongst the trees. Thank you in advance😊

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 January 2017 at 21:29:51 #858339

Hi Raymoz-

Welcome to my Swiss Alps. That sounds like a beautiful hike.

I’ve not done much hiking in the area, but, noted this route which you have mentioned for the Via Albula/Bernina:

http://www.wanderland.ch/de/r outen/etappe-01317.html

in addition to the Via Sett.

http://www.wanderland.ch/de/r outen/etappe-01670.html

I did enjoy the rail-trail from Bergun to Preda, although we walked it in the downhill direction.

Those links can give you altitude profiles, if are not familiar with them.

If you are familiar with the website, then someone with more experience than I will have to help.

Slowpoke

Raymoz
    Participant
    6 posts
    24 January 2017 at 7:26:35 #858340

Hi Slowpoke,

Thank you so much for your reply!!

I did check the Wanderland site but did not compare the altitude profiles.

That was a very usefull advice, that will give me a good picture of the area.

Thanks again 🙂

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 January 2017 at 16:47:56 #858341

Hi Raymoz,

Both routes you suggested will be wonderful. I know the one through Bergün best. You won’t be disappointed. Here’s some details:

• Bergün to Preda
    • Preda to Bever. This one is normally done from Bever to Preda and has a short but steep ascent. From Preda to Bever it would be a challenging descent. I’d recommend to take the route from Preda to La Punt instead. It more or less follows the pass road and is not difficult. Both variants pass a very scenic small lake (Palpuognasee).

I’m not sure when you’ll be there, but this walk can be done summer and early fall only.

Raymoz
    Participant
    6 posts
    26 January 2017 at 6:48:36 #858342

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your reply.

I think that it’s going to be the one you sugested because i planned to be in Poschiavo the same night.

That means that i have to take the Bernina Express at some point, this trail gives me more freedom because i can get on the train whenever it fits me.

Thanks again, and thank you for this amazing and very usefull site 🙂

Raymond.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 January 2017 at 7:24:33 #858343

<<“That means that i have to take the Bernina Express at some point, this trail gives me more freedom because i can get on the train whenever it fits me.”>>

Or the bus between Preda and La Punt:

map.search.ch/Berg%C3% BCn-Bravuogn?pos=788680,161808&z=32 &poi=bergbahn,halteste lle,mobility,veloland, zug

and,

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&X=161859.26 &Y=779261.84&zoom=6

Slowpoke

Raymoz
    Participant
    6 posts
    26 January 2017 at 9:29:42 #858344

Good morning Slowpoke,

The bus is of course also a good alternative, it might be closer between the stops compared to the train which gives me more freedom .

I am going to hike in august, so i have a lot of time to plan the trip. But at the same time: Planning is half the fun.

Thanks for your advice 🙂

Raymond

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 January 2017 at 13:43:04 #858345

Make sure to have the bus schedule at hand. It only runs a few times per day on that stretch. The trains run hourly.

Raymoz
    Participant
    6 posts
    26 January 2017 at 14:28:43 #858346

Hi Arno,

Thanks, the SBB Mobile app is downloaded 🙂

Raymond

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 January 2017 at 18:52:48 #858347

<<“Thanks, the SBB Mobile app is downloaded :)”>>

In many countries, the wireless telephone coverage would be problematic in a region such as you are hiking through. Switzerland, in contrast, does not have many gaps in coverage, but, being a hiker of the old school, I’d try to carry some kind of paper notes on that rather remote section.

There is map of coverage on line somewhere.

I do tend to be excessively cautious, partly because I now have sore knees and am uncertain about their capabilities for distance work.

Slowpoke

Raymoz
    Participant
    6 posts
    26 January 2017 at 19:45:08 #858348

Hi, i’ll keep that in mind. Like you said, the coverage is good in Switserland. It is my fourth time in Switserland and i have never had issues with coverage. But, a paper with some information is a cheap and very reliable insurance.

Thanks again.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 January 2017 at 0:27:20 #858349

Hi Raymoz –

<<“Hi, i’ll keep that in mind. Like you said, the coverage is good in Switserland. “>>

Looks like Swisscom, at least, offers 3G and 4G coverage along your route. 2G is weak from Preda to la Punt.

scmplc.begasoft.ch/plc app/pages/gis/netzabde ckung.jsf?lang=de

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Hiking from Tiefencastel to St. Moritz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.