Hiking in Interlaken area late Sept/October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2014 at 12:36:29 #806423

I last went to Interlaken in late May early June and was disappoint to find that teh Eiger trail and surrounding trails, and the Schynige Platte were not yet open. Therefore, this trip I am planning to go in late September or entirely in October. Does anyone have any information as to when the trails round Interlaken close for the season? Also, when do the boats on Lakes Thun and Brienz close for the season? Thanks for any information.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    7 June 2014 at 17:46:53 #840149

I’ve spent 3 months in the area in those months over the past 2 years. It’s not much but here’s my take: I had traces of snow on many days and passes but nothing to worry about. More to be looked forward to for the beauty of it. Last year snow fell in Murren in early October. When I got there in mid month I don’t recall there being a trace of it. It was apparently very unseasonable. So it’s hit and miss and there are alternative trails and ways to get around if your trail of choice looks dicey. (ice cleats might get you past bad spots on otherwise clear trails) My thoughts would go to where you mean to stay. Lots of places close down around the end of Sept. Murren was half closed. Lobhornhutte will be open to mid Oct I think but Faulhorn and others probably won’t be. So choices may be limited but what is open you won’t have trouble booking and prices should be down some. It’s quiet time between the summer and winter seasons. Some tourist draws close. Trummelbach Falls for one.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 June 2014 at 17:47:39 #840150

Hi Wineycat,

Late May/early June is indeed too early for the higher trails, but all others ones are open around that time. July through September is the best time. Early October is usually fine too. Late October, the chance of snow at the higher altitudes is increasing. There is no fixed date for trails to close, as this is weather dependent. There’s only a fixed closing date for cable cars/funiculars etc. Although exceptional weather can sometimes cause early closure or late opening as well.

The boats on Lake Thun operate all year round (although in Winter very limited), on Lake Brienz there are no boats in Winter. Links to the timetables can be found on the pages I linked to.

• The thread ‘Hiking in Interlaken area late Sept/October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.