Hiking in the Alps in the Easter

Hiking in the Alps in the Easter

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
john.doe
john.doe
3 posts
Mar 28, 2011 - 1:19 AM
Hi!

Just found this forum and it seems to be just what I need :-)

We are three guys who have never been hiking in the Swiss Alps before but would like to try it in this coming Easter. We are excited about the "Sentiero Alpino Calanca" hike but we're not sure it's going to be possible. I hope you can help us with a few questions.

First of all, do you think the weather is going to make it impossible? We wouldn't mind some snow but what do you think?

What about restrictions on hiking in the area? Are we allowed at all? Will we need to get/buy special licenses? And what about camping out? Is that allowed?

If this hike is not possible, other suggestions are very welcome.

Thank you very much!
Arno
Arno
7309 posts
expert &
Mar 28, 2011 - 1:39 AM
Hi john.doe,

Welcome here! I don't know the Sentiero alpino Calanca from personal experience, but I do know that it's accessible from mid June to October only. It's not safe otherwise. You've probably already found their website with more information. Some alternatives can be found through the San Bernardino website. Perhaps someone else has more suggestions for you.
john.doe
john.doe
3 posts
Mar 28, 2011 - 3:59 AM
Thank you very much, Arno!

Yes, I did find the website, thank you. We will have to re-consider this hike then.

But in general, will we need some special permissions to hike and camp out in Switzerland?

Thanks again.
Annika
Annika
4355 posts
expert &
Mar 28, 2011 - 2:57 PM
Hi john.doe! No special permissions are required to hike in Switzerland. You have to stay on the (well-marked) hiking paths though, in order not to cause any damage to wildlife and plants, and even more important: in order to avoid dangerous situations. Wild camping is not allowed in most parts of the country. Each canton has its own terms and regulations, so you should either find out in advance which rules apply to the route you have in mind, or plan a tour that allows you to stay overnight in some of the many Swiss mountain huts. Our general hiking tips and the Swiss mountain hut organisation SAC may help you. The website of Wanderland Schweiz offers great information on local, regional and national hiking tours, including accommodation and transportation tips.
john.doe
john.doe
3 posts
Apr 5, 2011 - 7:21 AM
Hi Annika,

Thank you very much for very useful advice and directions to more info. You helped us a lot :-) I really appreciate the help you provide on this website.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016