Hiking Inn to inn, or hut to hut in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2011 at 16:20:33 #804312

We are interested in hiking inn to inn or hut to hut in Switzerland. Any advice on which routes to take, or how to plan a trip like this? Any information would be helpful.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    13 May 2011 at 3:03:47 #832893

Hi runtxgator, and welcome! First of all, you should decide on some basic things:

– are you an experienced mountain hiker and are you in good shape? If not, choose relatively short and easy hikes (4 to 5 hours per day at the most, and with a difficulty level of T2/T3) and avoid alpine routes;
    – what hiking gear is available to you, and how much do you want to carry along when hiking? This decides the lenght and difficulty of your hikes as well. Please review the hikings tips for more details;
    – what region in Switzerland appeals to you most? Just roam around this website and explore the Bernese Oberland, Wallis and Graubünden to find out what’s attractive to you.

Once you’ve answered these questions, you can start searching for routes, using websites as Wanderland Schweiz, Tourenfinder and SAC (the Swiss mountain hut organisation).

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2011 at 17:22:21 #832894

I’m looking for the same information as runtxgator
    The Wanderland Schweiz and Tourefinder sites don’t provide what I’m looking for
    Ideally, I want to hike 5 days, no more than 10 miles per day at an altitude no higher than 1500m
    I do not want to hike from a hub location, rather I prefer going from village to village
    There are several tour providers that offer these services but I prefer not using their services
    Your suggestions are appreciated.
    Danke!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2011 at 3:58:42 #832895

You might find either the pre-alpes above Lake Geneva or the Jura ideal. There’s a route called the Grand Traverse from Leysin which might fit. I’ve more info at home but I’m travelling right now and don’t have it.

Arno
    15482 posts
    18 May 2011 at 12:39:20 #832896

Good tip SwissMountainLeader, thanks! jwiszh, you may want to check out sections of the Jakobsweg also. It covers the regions SwissMountainLeader mentioned, and others as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2011 at 4:36:48 #832897

the URL I was trying to recall is http://www.id-rando.ch/

• The thread ‘Hiking Inn to inn, or hut to hut in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.