Hiking Kristallweg

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2013 at 9:02:24 #806028

Hi, We are planning on taking the trip from Zermatt to Rothorn and doing some hiking. If we hike the Kristallweg from Rothorn to Blauherd can we take a tram ride down from Blauherd to Sunnegga? I can only find a trip from Sunnegga to Blauherd but not the reverse. Also, when purchasing tickets for the Zermatt to Rothorn trip do we buy each trip separately if we want to walk around between rides or can we purchase the Zermatt-Rothorn ticket and still take our time between rides?

The other hike we will consider is Sunnegga back to Zermatt. This will be a full day of hiking as the Kristallweg hike is said to be 1.5 hours and the Gourmetweg hike back from Sunnegga to Zermatt is also said to be 1.5 hours. Too much??

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    30 May 2013 at 13:39:39 #838792

Hi familyof5. Yes, you’ll be able to get into the cable car when arriving at Blauherd. The timetable counts for trips in both ways. As for tickets: if you’re sure what hikes you want to make that day, you can get a ticket at the valley station that exactly matches your needs. It’s no problem to get one return ticket for all three legs and then get out along the way do to some hiking. But if you plan to hike parts of the route, thus skipping one of the cable car or mountain train sections, it would be a waste to pay for them.

Unless you’re trained hikers, I would recommend not to include the descent to Zermatt. You’ll already descend about 600 metres between Rothorn and Blauherd, and Sunnegga-Zermatt would add another 600 metres. That’s quite heave for legs and knees. But if you’re used to such distances, it’s no problem of course.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2013 at 13:47:48 #838793

Thanks. How about if we take the transportation all the way to Rothorn and then walk the Kristallweg hike and then get on the tram from Blauherd to Suunegga. Then we would walk to Chez Vrony. We have lunch reservations at 13:00. Would you say this is too much hiking? We have hiked in the trails of New England for 5 hours.

Thank you for your assistance.

So we could purchase one way tickets to Rothorn but a round trip Sunnegga to Blauherd?

Lisa

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2013 at 9:06:19 #838794

Hello, you said the hike is 600 metres but that is only .37 miles?? This doesn’t make sense. Can you please tell me what you think the distance is in miles to make the entire hike down that I am suggesting: Rothorn to Zermatt. Thanks!

[quote]Annika said: Hi familyof5. Yes, you’ll be able to get into the cable car when arriving at Blauherd. The timetable counts for trips in both ways. As for tickets: if you’re sure what hikes you want to make that day, you can get a ticket at the valley station that exactly matches your needs. It’s no problem to get one return ticket for all three legs and then get out along the way do to some hiking. But if you plan to hike parts of the route, thus skipping one of the cable car or mountain train sections, it would be a waste to pay for them.

Unless you’re trained hikers, I would recommend not to include the descent to Zermatt. You’ll already descend about 600 metres between Rothorn and Blauherd, and Sunnegga-Zermatt would add another 600 metres. That’s quite heave for legs and knees. But if you’re used to such distances, it’s no problem of course.[/quote]

Annika
    7104 posts
    31 May 2013 at 11:15:41 #838795

Hi Lisa! I didn’t mean that the hike is 600 metres, but that you’ll make an overall descent of 600 metres during this hike. Here‘s further information on the route. The short hike to Chez Vrony shouldn’t be a problem of course. The entire hike down to Zermatt may pose no problems to you either, I just wanted to warn you that such a long descent might be strenuous if you’re not used to it. Ultimately, you should estimate what you and your family are up to.

• The thread ‘Hiking Kristallweg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.