Hut to hut hiking last two weeks of September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2016 at 0:14:20 #808482

We are a fit 60+ couple ready to fulfill my dream of some hiking and sleeping in mountain huts in the Engadin. What is the usual snow level for this time of year? Although my husband is experienced in snow fields, I hope to avoid them. Any suggestions of must see/do or places that will not be accessible at this time of the season? Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

lkdf62
    Participant
    41 posts
    25 February 2016 at 16:46:07 #848684

DeviDasi,

My wife and I, now in our late 60’s, have traveled several times to Switzerland in September and only one time did we encounter snow that prohibited us from freely hiking in the mountains. We have hiked in the Bernese Oberland and Engadine regions and encountered occasional days where weather was of concern. In Zermatt in 2012, with the snow nearly 30 cm deep at Trockner Steg and above, we chose some lower altitude routes. On another trip to Wengen we encountered one day of snow which only caused us to adjust our morning start time to allow for the trails to clear – the trail were still muddy and slippery in spots. Rain snow showers are possible during September at higher altitudes and become more likely as September advances. Prepare for cooler temps and rain or snow showers with the choices you make regarding clothing to bring on you trip.

All-in-all September is a great time in the Swiss Alps! Enjoy the unique culture of the Engadine with it’s prominent Roman influence.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 February 2016 at 1:14:19 #848685

Hi DeviDasi –

<<” my dream of some hiking and sleeping in mountain huts in the Engadin.”>>

Which huts?

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Hut to hut hiking last two weeks of September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.