Hiking near Lauterbrunnen June 16 to June 20

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2016 at 22:26:02 #809375

Hello everyone

I will be staying in Valley Hostel in Lauterbrunnen from June 16 to June 20. I am interested in doing some day hikes (one or two), like the hike to Murren and Gimmelwald. I can do easy to moderate hikes. I am looking to join/make plans with anyone who is also interested in doing similar hikes. I am open to ideas and would love to share the amazing experience of hiking around in the area with other people.

I apologize if this is not the right place for such a post, and would appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction for finding company for the day hikes.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 June 2016 at 22:41:23 #852693

Sorry I can’t be there to join you.

Here are some ideas for hikes.

Not all will be open in late June due to snow. Check date of the update at the bottom of the page.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tou rism/destinations/klei ne-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2016 at 23:10:43 #852694

Thanks for the quick response!

I am planning to do one of the hikes connecting to Kleine Scheidegg, and then continue via train to Jungfraujoch. I am expecting temperatures of around ZERO C. I read in another post on the forum that some trails could be closed due to snow. How much snow can I expect on the trails that are open? I am packing a pair of solid reebok shoes (NOT boots), woolens and rain-wind-proof jacket. Would that be sufficient? I am not new to snow, but it would be pity if I have to miss some beautiful hike due to lack of equipment.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 June 2016 at 23:18:30 #852695

<<“I am packing a pair of solid reebok shoes (NOT boots), woolens and rain-wind-proof jacket. Would that be sufficient?”>>

When you go, the most trails, and especially the higher trails will be wet.

Reeboks are not waterproof, as far as I know…. Wet + cold is a problem.

Zero degrees Celsius is certainly possible, especially at night

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 June 2016 at 8:16:39 #852696

Hi lokeshjindal,

Hiking from Wengen or Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg might be possible around that time. Please find details here: myswissalps.com/ jungfrauregion/ activities.

bouboucadeau
    Participant
    20 posts
    7 June 2016 at 13:36:55 #852697

i too stayed at Valley Hostel back in February 2016..

great hostel.. very quiet and friendly hosts…

i was only 1 of 3 guest at the time so i felt like it was my own house…

check out the review here

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g285724-d597221-r348948242-Valley_Hostel-Lauterbrunnen_Jungfrau_Region_Bernese_Oberland_Canton_of_Bern.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

for hikes

i did from lauterbrunnen station to Grutschalp.. its a gondola that takes you up.. i believe its 6 CHF

from Grutschalp, you can train to Murren or hike..

i did both.. the hike from Grutschalp to Murren was beautiful and peaceful… some uphill but mostly flat.. past through Winterregg and to Murren…

you can also hike from Murren to Gimmelwald which i did as well.. all downhill and turns…

Murren is bigger town with shops restaurants, hostels..

Gimmelwald is small but beautiful with a pensione and hostel with limited food options..

both are great hikes..

it took about 3-4 hours to complete

(pics are of hike from Grutschalp to Murren)

enjoy

• The thread ‘Hiking near Lauterbrunnen June 16 to June 20’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.