Hiking on mount kehlstein (eagle”s nest) – germany

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2013 at 9:08:44 #805936

Hi,
    I’m planning a little one day hike to mount Kehlstein from southern Bavaria. On the top of the mountain there is the famous Eagle’s nest ( Kehlsteinhaus), one of Hitler’s ex-resorts.
    However, I did not found enough information on the subject mainly because I don’t want to reach the top by bus.. but by hiking (by foot). Basically, I want to start hiking at Dokumentationszentrum Obersalzberg and arrive at Eagle’s nest.

So I would have some questions:

1. I understand that the road leading to the tunnel underneath Eagle’s nest starts at Dokumentationszentrum Obersalzberg. Between this place and Berchtesgadener train station there are 3.5 Km on road 319. Is there a bus I can take?

2. I see that the road that takes me to the tunnel is called Kehlsteinstraße at it’s approximately 7 KM long. Are there any touristic trails for those who want to hike to the top? Of course I can simply hike on the car road, but it would be much more interesting to follow a trail in the forest for example.
    On Google maps I’ve seen a couple of trails in the forest, but I don’t know in what condition they are, if they are marked or if they are dangerous.

3. At the point where the bus leaves you ( at the entrance to the tunnel) I see there is some sort of trail called Mannlsteig. Is this the only way to reach the Eagle’s nest by hiking? Is this dangerous (technical passages, etc.)?

Any information that you have is valuable for me!

Thank you in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 April 2013 at 12:38:32 #838481

Hi msmihai! I’m afraid we can’t help you out very adequately. Your question concerns the German Alps, not the Swiss. I suggest you take a look at the official Kehlsteinhaus website and contact them for further information. The German timetable may be of help too. Good luck preparing for your trip!

• The thread ‘Hiking on mount kehlstein (eagle”s nest) – germany’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.