Hiking season (high trails)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2012 at 16:34:27 #804862

Hey guys, I’m planning a trip to Switzerland for the last week of May. It’s mostly a hiking trip, with full day hikes from Gimmelwald (up to Schilthorn and Oberhornsee Lake etc) and Kandersteg. Some things I’ve been reading lately say most of the high trails will still be snow covered and/or closed during that time. Others say it’s a great weather time to go. Anyone here have experience with this? I could go the last week of June instead but it sounds like the weather is very unpredictable. I don’t think September is an option due to work, and I’d like to avoid the July-August tourists.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    28 January 2012 at 20:49:43 #834700

Well, I’ve been to the area 15 times in the past 15 years and can tell you that it would have to be a very unusually warm year with no spring snow for the hikes you want to do to be open the last week of May. Past history can almost guarantee closure. Last week of June would be much better, but if there is late snow you may find these hikes closed even then. The area is really not that crowded in July which would be an even safer bet. The weather is always unpredictable in the mountains. Always best to have a back up plan for lower elevation hikes in case you get a stormy day. I have a long document detailing many hikes at various elevations (and other stuff) in the region that I’d be happy to send you. If you would like a copy send me a private message with your email address.

KimSanJose

[quote]canuck87 said: Hey guys, I’m planning a trip to Switzerland for the last week of May. It’s mostly a hiking trip, with full day hikes from Gimmelwald (up to Schilthorn and Oberhornsee Lake etc) and Kandersteg. Some things I’ve been reading lately say most of the high trails will still be snow covered and/or closed during that time. Others say it’s a great weather time to go. Anyone here have experience with this? I could go the last week of June instead but it sounds like the weather is very unpredictable. I don’t think September is an option due to work, and I’d like to avoid the July-August tourists.[/quote]

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2012 at 10:33:11 #834701

Awesome thanks. I’ll plan the last week of July or August. I sent you my email.

• The thread ‘Hiking season (high trails)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.