Holidays in Switzerland 5 days late December

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2015 at 21:34:00 #808110

Hi Forum

We are a family of 5 (2adults,3 kids age 17,15,10) travelling from Venice by a train. We arrive on 24/12 to 30/12. We plan to stay in zurich for 2 days to explore zurich and catch up with friends. On 26/12,we plan to visit lucern, interlaken and go up to highest mountains (jungfraujoch) and travel to Geneva, zermatt, montrex and st moritz and back to zurich on 30/12 to catch a night flight to dubai.

Can you advise it is possible to achieve that in 5 days or it is better for us just to stay in interlaken for 5 days and just explore the west coast of Switzerland. What kind of rail pass do we buy. This pass is only Switzerland only. Is that right? Any recommendations are welcome as this is our first time in Switzerland and we 3 kids so have to travel safe n enjoyable. Thank you Debbie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    9 November 2015 at 8:27:38 #846914

Hi Debbie18, thanks for posting here!

Your plans are quite ambitious for 5 days. If you check the timetable, you’ll see that traveling times to Geneva, Zermatt and St. Moritz are very long from Interlaken or Zurich.

You may want to focus on one or two towns and their immediate surrounding instead. Both Lucerne and Interlaken have a lot to offer nearby. You’ll also be able to make a few longer side trips to a couple of the destinations you mentioned. A day trip to Montreux over the Golden Pass line from Lucerne or Interlaken is still long, but if you’re interested in a scenic trip it’s doable. The same goes for Zermatt: it does take a couple of hours to get there from Interlaken, but it certainly can be done.

Which pass is best, strongly depends on your exact itinerary. So you’d better first make a tentative plan and then look into rail passes. Our tips at myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass may get you started. If not, please feel welcome to post your finalized itinerary so that we can help you pick the right pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2015 at 7:38:23 #846915

thank you Annika for your proimpt reply. I am getting nervous as I still have not book any accommodation in ZUrich and interlaken. Pls help

Our plan as following

24/12 – arrived Zurich by train from Venice, Stay one night in Zurich

25/12 – Take train to Lucern , visit the town and Tittis and follow by train to Interlaken

26/12 – Stay in hotel interlaken, explore the town, go to Jungfraujoch by train

27/12 – explore interlaken, not sure what else we can do

28/12 – Day trip to Lausanne, Montreaux then to Zemmant

29/12 = Stay one night in Zemmant

30/12 – LEave Zemmant and take a train back to Zurich to catch a flight back to Dubai

my questions are

on 28/12 – should i go back to Interlaken or Zurich to catch a flight home as Zemmant will be too tiring to achieve

on 29/12 – ??

on 30/12 – Catch a night flight back to Dubai

I am open to suggestions of what I can do with 6 days in Switzerland if I just focus on the interlaken and lausanne montreaux.

What Kind of swiss pass should I buy?

If my last stop is Montreaux, how should I go back to Zurich to take flgiht back to Dubai wihout go back tracking the same route

Hope you can help pls, Thank you very much

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2015 at 7:54:09 #846916

sorry does Singapore and Australia passport need a visas to visit Switzerland, thank you

Arno
    15481 posts
    10 November 2015 at 8:32:42 #846917

Hi Debbie,

You would save travel time by starting in Zermatt and work your way north to Zurich to catch your flight. An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass makes sense as you travel quite a lot. The timetable provides traveling times. Please note the spelling of locations when looking for train schedules: it’s Zermatt, Titlis (or Kleintitlis, which is the name of the cable car station), Montreux. Things to do can be found on the town pages Annika linked to.

For help with accommodation, please post in the accommodation forum. Did you already book a hotel in Zermatt? If not, don’t wait too long. It can be a challenge to find a hotel as you’re traveling in the busiest week of the year.

For visa, please see http://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/e n/home/publiservice/we isungen-kreisschreiben/visa/li ste1_staatsangehoerigk eit.html.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2015 at 9:13:18 #846918

Thank you very much again.

Does Swiss Travel Pass cover the golden pass or the glacier express?

Sorry so many questions. Appreciate your help

Arno
    15481 posts
    10 November 2015 at 9:25:21 #846919

Hi Debbie,

Yes, that’s all covered. Please see the pass page I linked to, and click “Where it’s valid”. And click “Price” for the best pass retailers. Note that you won’t have time for the Glacier Express. It’s a full day ride from Zermatt to St. Moritz.

• The thread ‘Holidays in Switzerland 5 days late December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.