Home base suggestion

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2011 at 9:52:54 #804216

My 13-year old son and I will be traveling from Paris to Switzerland on Friday, 23 May. I have not made our train reservation yet because I am questioning my itinerary. Here is our very brief plan:

Friday: Arrive Lausanne, tour Chateau de Chillon and Montreaux area, and sleep somewhere in this area.

Saturday: Hike in vineyards near Lausanne in the morning and then take Golden Pass train to Schilthorn area. Sleep in Murren or somewhere nearby.

Sunday: Ride cable car to top of Schilthorn, eat a meal, eventually continue on to Zurich later that day for 10 AM flight home on Monday.

I have several specific questions.

1. I am looking forward to a daylight ride on the Golden Pass. How late in the day could we leave and still enjoy the view? If fairly late in the afternoon, we could leave Lausanne area on Friday afternoon after a few hours of sightseeing (Chateau de Chillon, Montreaux, maybe short lake cruise are our primary goals) and head towards Schilthorn area. I like the thought of spending more time there.

2. Given our limited time (and my 13-year old son’s eligibility for free travel) the Half Fare card sounds like a smart purchase. I have read of others traveling from Paris to the Swiss border and then purchasing half price fares into Switzerland from that point. Would that be a practical suggestion for us? If so, which stop would be closest to the Swiss border if we ultimately want to go to Lausanne area?

3. When looking at sbb.ch site for Golden Pass travel from Montreux to Murren, there are two Murren choices. One is BLM and the other is ISMS. Which is the correct stop if we would like to stay overnight in Murren?

Thank you so much for your help. I have been researching for weeks and want to make a decision soon.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2011 at 12:08:30 #832573

I forgot to mention that we arrive in Lausanne just before noon.

Annika
    7121 posts
    16 April 2011 at 12:30:16 #832574

Hello Janet, and welcome to our forum! As for your questions:

1) The train trip from Lausanne to Mürren over the Golden Pass line takes about 4h30 to 5h00. As you’ll be travelling in May, the sun will set fairly late, so if you arrive in Mürren about 8pm you’ll be able to enjoy the trip in daylight. You could get on the Golden Pass Panoramic train leaving Montreux at 15h45pm. This is the latest possible connection. (That is, if you want to travel in a Golden Pass train. Regular trains run on this route as well.) Please review the Swiss timetable and the Golden Pass timetable for specifics.

2) Yes, a Swiss Half Fare Card would be an economical option. It will save you quite some money, as it offers a 50% discount on most trips and allows your son to travel along for free, if you order a free STS Family Card along with your Swiss Half Fare Card. You can best enter Switzerland via Geneva, as this is closest to Lausanne. Geneva-Lausanne is a only short ride.

3) Mürren BLM is the best choice, as this refers to the railway station of Mürren. The connection Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp (by funicular)-Mürren (by train) is the common one. Mürren LSMS refers to the cable car station of Mürren, as the connection Lauterbrunne-Stechelberg (by bus)-Mürren (by cable car) is an alternative.

I hope this makes your research more or less complete and that it helps you decide. Let us know in case you have further questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2011 at 12:41:49 #832575

Thank you, Annika. I will follow your advice.

• The thread ‘Home base suggestion’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.