Home base Wengen, best rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2015 at 14:21:58 #807880

We are renting a chalet in Wengen for a week hiking vacation. We arrive Zurich and will not have a car. Also depart Zurich after staying there our last night.

Which pass if we are day hiking in the Berner Oberland and taking a 1 day trip to Lake Brienze (using the boats)?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    4 September 2015 at 16:47:49 #845938

Hi rutheye,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! A Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland for 8 days seems to make sense here. It covers nearly everything, expect for a part of the transfer from and to Zurich. Please see the link for all the details.

There might be other options, but it depends on when this trip takes place and where you consider to go hiking.

Is this what you’re looking for?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2015 at 18:18:02 #845939

We will be needing transportation for 9 days, which does pose a problem as most of the passes are for 8 days, not 9. That, and we are spending a night in Zurich and not going directly from Wengen to the airport.

This travel occurs 15th Sept. – 23rd of this year. Hiking mostly easy/moderate day hikes within gondola/train/cog from Wengen and vicinity.

Perhaps the half fare ticket would be best.

Arno
    15481 posts
    4 September 2015 at 19:38:17 #845940

A ticket from Zurich to the airport costs just a few francs. You don’t need a pass for that. It can even be free if you book a hotel with a free shuttle service: myswissalps.com/ zurichairporthotels

1. For just Wengen and vicinity you don’t need a pass for the entire Bernese Oberland. A Jungfrau Railways Pass is sufficient. For the transfer from Zurich you can buy a Swiss Transfer Ticket.

2. The advantage of a Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is that a longer day trip (e.g. to Bern or Lucerne), in case of bad weather, is included. And most of the transfer from Zurich is included too. There’s a 4, 6, 8 and 10 pass, so this should fit your plans.

3. The Swiss Half Fare Card is indeed an alternative to consider. There’s no free traveling included, but you’ll get 50% off of all tickets. You can do the math as explained here, to see which of the options is cheaper.

Please see the links for pass details (what’s covered, retailers, etc.)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2015 at 21:04:14 #845941

we can get a swiss transfer ticket to cover zurich airport to wengen, and then zurich city to airport, PLUS the half fare card, for 466 euros. for two people total.

does this seem like a great deal?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2015 at 21:14:05 #845942

Actually…the price is 328 euros! But the website is not allowing me to enter our dates…which is in ten days. Does one need to book these tickets far in advance?

Arno
    15481 posts
    5 September 2015 at 7:07:44 #845943

Hi rutheye,

You don’t need a Swiss Transfer Ticket AND a Swiss Half Fare Card. The logical (combination of) passes are listed in my previous post. I numbered them 1 to 3.

I don’t know which website you are trying to purchase from, and what exactly you are trying to purchase. All our pass pages list the websites to purchase from (click “Price” to get there). Please let me know and I will help you out if necessary. If it’s the Swiss Half Fare Card, you can go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, select the “Online Ticket” option, and print it at home once you have received it through e-mail in 2 to 3 days.

• The thread ‘Home base Wengen, best rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.