Hop off and then hop on ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2014 at 16:21:40 #806648

Hello everyone:

I’m traveling from Milan to Prague in mid December and am considering the train option. My plan is take the train from Milan to Zurich and then Zurich to Prague (overnight train). I’m also planning visiting one or two towns along the way from Milan to Zurich, e.g., Lugano or Bellinzona. My question is do I have to purchase tickets in segments, i.e., Milan to Lugano/Bellinzona, Lugano/Bellinzona to Zurich, or I can just buy one ticket Milan to Zurich, hop off anywhere in between and hop on the next train to the destination Zurich?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 September 2014 at 5:46:32 #841092

Hi guoguo914,

If the trains require seat reservations you need to buy tickets in segments. If not, you can break your trip along the way and proceed traveling later on the same day. If you plan to spend more than one day on a route, you’d better also get tickets in segments, as tickets are valid for one specific day (although the rules may be different per country). If seat reservations are mandatory for a particular train it’s best to purchase them well in advance.

• The thread ‘Hop off and then hop on ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.