How do I buy tickets from Lauterbrunnen to Fussen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2012 at 7:54:29 #805211

Please tell me if I have researched this correctly and if this is the best way to get to Fussen:

Lauterbrunnen to St Margrethen (Swiss border) using 2/1 swiss pass, no charge
    St Margrethen to Lindau (92 days out – 7.40 euros)
    Lindau to Fussen – Bavarian Pass 29 euros

– for the Lauterbrunnen to St. Margrethen portion could I purchase the ticket 3 days earlier when I arrive in Lauterbrunnen.
    – purchase the St. Margrethen to Lindau portion in advance (92 days)..
    – for the Lindau to Fussen, would I just purchase the Bavarian ticket when I arrive in Fussen
    Thank-you for you help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7122 posts
    6 May 2012 at 9:27:03 #835921

Hello katrinka! The Swiss leg up to St. Margrethen will indeed be for free with a valid Swiss Pass. That means you don’t have to buy any additional ticket for this leg either. If you mean that you want to buy the Swiss Pass itself when you arrive in Lauterbrunnen: that’s not an option if you want to use the 2 for 1 offer, as that has to be purchased online.

An additional ticket is required for the leg St. Margrethen-Füssen. I’m not familiar with the Bavaria ticket, but according to the map at the Bavaria ticket website it can be used for the leg Lindau-Füssen. If that’s true (you can best contact Bahnland Bayern for specific information) you shouldn’t buy this ticket after arrival in Füssen, but before boarding the train in Lindau.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    6 May 2012 at 12:11:45 #835922

Hi Katrinka,

Yes your research is exactly right (as is Annika’s comment about the St M – Füssen portion being free).

The Bavaria ticket will indeed get you from Lindau to Füssen. There are 2 ways to purchase a Bavaria Ticket (and you must purchase it before the Lindau to Füssen portion of your journey):

1) From the red/grey/DB ticket machine at the Lindau station OR at the counter (this will add 2 Euros to the ticket price and counter staff may be on break when you get there). Since Bavaria Tickets are issued for a specific date there is no validation/cancellation required, however you need to fill in your name on the name field of the ticket. If you want to buy a Ticket this way you must allow enough time in your schedule to get off the train at the Lindau stop, buy the ticket, and get back on.

Second way (sorry about formatting, it’s a cut and paste from a previous post):
    · You can buy one on-line at https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de. Enter your starting point as Lindau and destination Munich. Since Bavaria Tickets only work on regional transport, you must select as means of transport “onlylocal transport” to make sure you’re only seeing trains where the Ticketis accepted. There should be something listed under the “Savings fares”column that says “from 29,00 EUR”. Click on “Checkavailability” and – it will be always available – in the next step on”purchase”. Then you can buy it as an online-ticket (e-ticket). Ifyou feel certain about your travel day (these Tickets are non-refundable), mypreference would be to buy one on-line so as not to risk missing the connectionin Lindau. Remember that if you want the “Partner” version of the Ticket toshow up as a selection, make sure you enter the appropriate number of travelersin the first screen. If you only enter 1 adult you only get the single versionof the Bavaria Ticket as a choice.

Regarding pricing, they are changing the pricing of Bavaria Tickets beginning in June. It’s still a very good deal, but different. Here is a link to a thread discussing the changes:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187293-i117-k5386499-Bayern_Ticket_changes_from_10_June_2012_on-Bavaria.html

Happy Travels!
    Kim

• The thread ‘How do I buy tickets from Lauterbrunnen to Fussen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.