How important is 1st class travel for rail tour

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2016 at 20:48:30 #808474

We are two adults and a 20 year old. It seems to be about a $700 difference between 1st and 2nd class rail passes. How important is getting a 1st class pass for this type of journey where we are spending each day on a train for 7 days straight. Maybe if someone could tell me the distinct differences I could justify that price difference…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 February 2016 at 22:46:31 #848660

Hi Caseylight –

<<“Maybe if someone could tell me the distinct differences I could justify that price difference…”>>

Perhaps this can help:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/2nd1stcl ass

It is rather difficult to make a judgement like that for someone else. If you were a business person traveling on business, and needed to work, I could recommend a first class car with a “Silent” zone…no loud talking and no cell phone usage…. That is a clear situation. And, some train cars have a small playground for young children….another easy one. In other cases it comes down to somewhat more comfortable seats and less tendency for first class sections to be full.

Personally, I tend to use second class for most shorter trips within Switzerland, and find it quite comfortable. However, if I plan to spend a lot of hours on a train on a particular day, or have concerns about hauling a lot of luggage on and off the train at busy stations during morning rush hour, then I may choose first class.

( I carry a Halbtax card….functionally equivalent to a Half-Fare card for tourists. So, I can choose either first or second class for any given journey.)

Hope this helps.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘How important is 1st class travel for rail tour’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.