How important is 1st class travel for rail tour

How important is 1st class travel for rail tour

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Feb 23, 2016 - 8:48 PM

We are two adults and a 20 year old. It seems to be about a $700 difference between 1st and 2nd class rail passes. How important is getting a 1st class pass for this type of journey where we are spending each day on a train for 7 days straight. Maybe if someone could tell me the distinct differences I could justify that price difference...

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2657 posts
expert
Feb 23, 2016 - 10:46 PM in reply to Removed user

Hi Caseylight -

<<"Maybe if someone could tell me the distinct differences I could justify that price difference...">>

Perhaps this can help:

www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/2nd1stcl ass

It is rather difficult to make a judgement like that for someone else. If you were a business person traveling on business, and needed to work, I could recommend a first class car with a "Silent" zone...no loud talking and no cell phone usage.... That is a clear situation. And, some train cars have a small playground for young children....another easy one. In other cases it comes down to somewhat more comfortable seats and less tendency for first class sections to be full.

Personally, I tend to use second class for most shorter trips within Switzerland, and find it quite comfortable. However, if I plan to spend a lot of hours on a train on a particular day, or have concerns about hauling a lot of luggage on and off the train at busy stations during morning rush hour, then I may choose first class.

( I carry a Halbtax card....functionally equivalent to a Half-Fare card for tourists. So, I can choose either first or second class for any given journey.)

Hope this helps.

Slowpoke

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016