How long to walk to Monchhutte?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2012 at 13:20:45 #805323

When taking the train to Jungfraujoch, then how long to walk to and return from Monchhutte? Assume same day walk. It looks like the maximum stay for the day is under 4 hours at the top, between the station and the hut?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    18 April 2012 at 0:48:30 #836288

>how long to walk to and return from Monchhutte<

Depending on your fitness level and ability to deal with high altitude it will take anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours roundtrip. You will want to spend at least 30 minutes once out there to have a hot drink and take in the views. I assume you know it is a walk across a snowfield atop a permanent glacier? You will need good hiking shoes.

>It looks like the maximum stay for the day is under 4 hours at the top, between the station and the hut<

You can stay up top as long as you want, just don’t miss the last train down!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2012 at 1:04:17 #836289

Thanks Kim, I am thinking of climbing the Monch and having my wife stay at the hut. Go up one day come back the next. I’ll get a guide if I climb. If we just go for the day your info helps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2012 at 22:30:17 #836290

If I am on Switzerland for a week, should I go to the Aletsch Glacier and Jungfraujoch/ Monchhutte or would that be redundant for a weeks stay? If I only did one, which would you recommend?

• The thread ‘How long to walk to Monchhutte?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.