How to book on-line with Swiss Family Card?

How to book on-line with Swiss Family Card?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
racooper
racooper
1 post
Nov 1, 2015 - 11:58 PM

I am trying to research and book on-line tickets with SBB for some train trips within Switzerland. When I am putting in details for passengers it gives the option in 'select reduction' for adults with the Swiss Half Fare Card but not for children travelling under the Swiss Family Card. The only reduction option is for children with the Junior Card. I appreciate that internal train travel may not required reservations for kids under the Swiss Family Card, however what about if we are booking tickets for special trips like to Jungfrau or journeys from Interlaken to Venice (Italy). Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
Nov 2, 2015 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for joining us racooper!

Jungfraujoch and nearly all other trains in Switzerland do not require seat reservations:

You are right about international trains like the ones to Milan/Venice. Most of them do require you to book seats.

The SBB site does not allow bookings for Swiss Family Card holders. You can probably select "Junior Card" instead, but I'm not 100% sure about that. It will result in the same price though.

What you'd normally do is book a ticket for just the Italian portion of the trip: Domodossola to Venice in your case. You can do so through the retailers listed here. As you live in Australia you can best purchase through www.raileurope.com.au/ train/italian-international-trains-7267 or www.raileurope-world.com/train/italia n-international-trains. If you don't have the Swiss Half Fare Cards yet you can buy them there as well. Tickets for the Swiss portion can be purchased when you're in Switzerland.

Last modified on Nov 2, 2015 - 10:32 AM by Arno

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016