How to book on-line with Swiss Family Card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2015 at 23:58:51 #808084

I am trying to research and book on-line tickets with SBB for some train trips within Switzerland. When I am putting in details for passengers it gives the option in ‘select reduction’ for adults with the Swiss Half Fare Card but not for children travelling under the Swiss Family Card. The only reduction option is for children with the Junior Card. I appreciate that internal train travel may not required reservations for kids under the Swiss Family Card, however what about if we are booking tickets for special trips like to Jungfrau or journeys from Interlaken to Venice (Italy). Thanks in advance for your assistance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 November 2015 at 10:30:45 #846822

Thanks for joining us racooper!

Jungfraujoch and nearly all other trains in Switzerland do not require seat reservations:

You are right about international trains like the ones to Milan/Venice. Most of them do require you to book seats.

The SBB site does not allow bookings for Swiss Family Card holders. You can probably select “Junior Card” instead, but I’m not 100% sure about that. It will result in the same price though.

What you’d normally do is book a ticket for just the Italian portion of the trip: Domodossola to Venice in your case. You can do so through the retailers listed here. As you live in Australia you can best purchase through http://www.raileurope.com.au/ train/italian-international-trains-7267 or http://www.raileurope-world.com/train/italia n-international-trains. If you don’t have the Swiss Half Fare Cards yet you can buy them there as well. Tickets for the Swiss portion can be purchased when you’re in Switzerland.

• The thread ‘How to book on-line with Swiss Family Card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.