How to find 1968 camping site east of Basel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2016 at 22:24:11 #808331

In June, 1968 we camped in Switzerland, east or south of Basel on our route to the Italian Riviera and Venice. I would guess it was an hour or two outside of Basel, on a hillside with cows pasturing nearby and a small cable car (just big enough for my husband and me and our two small children) ride up over the mountains, either at the site or nearby. It was pastoral and beautiful, very simple tent camping. We are planning our 50 year return and hope to be able to retrace the route that we took.

I know that was a long time ago, but perhaps someone in that area remembers something like that and can give us some information.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 January 2016 at 18:06:42 #847988

Hi travelingnea, welcome to MySwissAlps!

This is quite hard to answer. Two hours outside of Basel includes a large area. A look at this map may help: http://www.swisscamps.ch/en/i ndex.php?section=mediadir&cmd=m ap.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2016 at 3:16:22 #847989

Yes, I realized that after looking at a more detailed map of the area. But the good news is that after going through all of our trip receipts and memorabilia, we think that we stayed near Kussnacht am Rigi near Zurich. We have found a ticket receipt for Zeltplatz Seebucht which also says “verein for den betrieb von zeltplatzen in zurich und umgebung” with another line which says “taxe fur eine logiernacht FR. 2.60.” And we have a delightful map of Kussnacht am Rigi plus a pamphlet of activities in the region. Once I was able to put the three items together, I am fairly certain we were somewhere close. At that time Kussnacht had a cable car that rode up the mountain, as shown on the map, and we know that we spent the following night in Geneve, so I think we were there. Now, the question remains, “Can we find that pastoral hillside where we camped so many years ago?” Probably not, but we can revisit the area and enjoy all of its beauty again. Thank you for your response, and we welcome any further thoughts.

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 January 2016 at 9:57:49 #847990

Good to hear you’ve found some additional information. The cable car up to Seebodenalp still exists: http://www.luftseilbahnseebod enalp.ch. I assume that’s the one you remember. I’m not sure about the camp site. It could be Camping Vierwaldstättersee in nearby Merlischachen. But perhaps it was another one closer to Zürich. Anyway, the region is wonderful and absolutely worth a visit: here’s a page to get started: myswissalps.com/ lakelucerne.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 February 2016 at 0:58:21 #847991

Hi TravelingNEA –

The views from Merlischachen, Küssnacht am Rigi and that arm of Lake Lucerne are very nice. Ifyou plan to spend more time in the area, let us know. I usually stay inthat area at least for a night or so, when I am in Switzerland. I tend to favor Rigi Kaltbad, but the whole area around the lake is beautiful. Hope it works out for you.. Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2016 at 21:43:34 #847992

Thank you Arno and Slowpoke for your support and suggestions. We are eagerly planning for our 2017 return to Europe, specifically Switzerland and Italy, and will use your ideas as our plan unfolds. Best Regards.

• The thread ‘How to find 1968 camping site east of Basel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.