How to find proper rail passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2014 at 10:26:30 #806406

Hi,

We three of us would be travelling from India to Germany from 31st May-2014. Can you help us what is the best way to travel as per the below mentioned iternary.

31st May-2014 – Arrive at Frankfurt Airport

leave for Messe Koln and Stay till 3rd afternoon.

3rd-June-2014 leave from Koln Messe to Luzern for 3 days till 5th June-2014

6th Morning Leave for Geneva. Stay at Geneva.

7th Morning 11 am flight back to India.

Can you please suggest whether i should go for eurail pass or swiss pass

Thanks & Regards,

Kamlesh Motwani

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 May 2014 at 19:47:24 #840104

Hi Kamlesh,

Welcome to our site! Well, it’s too late to purchase a Eurail Pass online now, and they’re quite expensive when purchased from the few points of sale in Europe. It’s not worth it for the two transfers in Germany, and for Switzerland it depends on the day trips you plan to make from Lucerne.

Since you’re so close to your travel date I would arrange for the tickets from Frankfurt to Köln and Köln to Basel after landing in Frankfurt. You may be able to arrange for them online and print them at home on bahn.de. From Basel, at the Swiss border, you can use a rail pass for Switzerland. I would guess either the Swiss Saver Pass or the Swiss Half Fare Card is your best choice. But it’s hard to say without knowing your plans in details. See here for how to make a choice.

See here for good hotels in Lucerne. Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘How to find proper rail passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.