How to find the best rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2016 at 11:49:15 #809598

HI,

I am planning to go to Switzerland with my family for 5 days. We’ll spend 3 nights in Wengen and 2 nights in Zurich. Also, we would like to travel to Jungfraujoch, St. Beatus caves, Montreux and Geneva. Which rail pass should i choose in order to visit these places?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    3 July 2016 at 12:35:50 #853739

Hi ajmaleer,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I expect the combination of a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass plus a ZurichCard for your last day in Zurich to work well in your case. An alternative is the Swiss Half Fare Card. Here‘s how to calculate which pass suits your plans best.

Mind that a trip to Montreux/Geneva is quite long from both Zurich or Wengen. Traveling times can best be checked using the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2016 at 14:51:59 #853740

Thank You!! I think i’ll go with the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass plus Zurich Card option.

I also forgot to mention that i have got a Select Pass as I will be travelling from France to Switzerland and then Switzerland to Germany. Do i get any offers or discounts to travel within Switzerland if i am holding a Select Pass?

Regards

Ajmal Ameer

Annika
    7104 posts
    4 July 2016 at 15:14:30 #853741

Hi Ajmal,

Which Eurail Select Pass do you have? Just France-Germany or France-Germany-Switzerland? The coverage of the second one can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass/validit y.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2016 at 20:43:27 #853742

Hi Annika,

I have got the Eurail Select Pass for France-Switzerland-Germany-Belgium.

I will be reaching Wengen on 26 July and I have 3 days in Wengen. I would like to go to Jungfraujoch on the first day and go some other place on the second day. On the third day, I’ll leave for Zurich and will be staying there for 2 days. Also, I would like to go to Titlis from Zurich on one of the days.

Suppose if it’s cloudy in Jungfraujoch on day 1, I’ll have to postpone it to the 2nd day, and go some other place on the 1st day. If so, what other places can i visit near Wengen on the 1st day? And which is the best pass that’ll accomodate all these travels? Or is the Eurail Select Pass sufficient to travel all these places?

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 July 2016 at 5:52:23 #853743

Hi Ajmal,

Please see Annika’s link for what’s included in the pass. A Jungfrau Travel Pass might be a good investment if you plan to travel a lot while in Wengen. In that case you would use your Eurail Select Pass to get to/from Wengen, and the Jungfrau Travel Pass locally.

Things to do are here: myswissalps.com/ jungfrauregion/ activities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2016 at 11:24:22 #853744

Hi Arno,

Thank You for suggesting the Jungfrau Travel Pass. It’s coverage fits my travel plan perfectly.

Can i print the tickets online or do i have to collect it upon arrival at Switzerland?

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 July 2016 at 11:59:08 #853745

Great! If you click to the Price tab of the pass page I gave you, you can review all purchase options. A printable option is offered by Viator here, but it’s a voucher you’ll have to exchange locally. Still saves you a bit of time though.

• The thread ‘How to find the best rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.