How to make best use of three days in Zurich .

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2013 at 2:15:03 #806010

Hello!!

I am planning to stay at Zurich for three nights accompanied by my wife.I have already booked my stay in a Hotel at Zurich.I want to visit places of tourist interest from Zurich daily for three days.Can some one advise me how best I can plan my trip. What are the sights We must see during three days and which card I should buy. We shall like to travel by train from Geneva to Zurich on day one.Stay for next three nights at Zurich and on 5th day travel to Basel and spend one night at Basel and leave for Amsterdam on 5th day by evening Flight.
    Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    22 May 2013 at 4:45:10 #838746

Hi Vipin,

I’m not sure what your interests are, but you could visit the Rhine Falls, and several attractions from Lucerne (Rigi, Pilatus, the Old Town, several museums, boat trips). Also, there’s plenty to see in Zurich itself (the town center, boat trips, museums, shopping). Either Swiss Half Fare Cards or a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would suit your needs.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2013 at 6:10:29 #838747

Hi Arno,
    Thank you so much for a valuable and quick response. Certainly one day we shall keep for Rhine Falls and Local site seeings,second day for Lucerne (Rigi, Pilatus, the Old Town etc). Which other site or Train journey is recommended for third day and If I buy Swiss saver Flexi Pass which trip shall be the best value for money.I hope all our journeys from Geneva to Zurich and Zurich to Basel including intervening journeys shall be free with this Pass. Further which Train rout is recommended for Zurich to Basel wherein we can see some new places also. Please advise.
    Thanks

Arno
    15481 posts
    22 May 2013 at 6:37:17 #838748

You’re welcome! The Lucerne region has plenty to do to spend a second day there. I would suggest to certainly do a boat trip, and possibly combine that with a trip up the Rigi. Both are free with the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, so that’s a example of value for money. A visit to the Säntis, more to the east, would be another option. The timetable helps you planning your trips. If you don’t want the most direct route to Basel, you can do a more scenic detour, such as via Lucerne – Schüpfheim – Bern. Possibly spend some time in Bern too if your itinerary allows that.

Please check the Flexi Pass page for all details: you can download a map there that shows what’s included, and also there are many details on resellers of the pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2013 at 7:15:17 #838749

Thanks!! Your advise shall help us a lot. Sorry to bother you again. We have some small doubts. We shall arrive at about 14.00 at Geneva Airport. Shall i be able to buy a Flexi Pass from the Airport and how much time it will take to buy the Pass and if any Photo etc is required to be carried or any other documents?.Then we shall have to board a train for Zurich from Geneva. Shall we require any reservation in the train before hand or with this Pass we can board any train available any time. Secondly in Zurich the local transport is available 24 hrs or till some fixed time late evening.Similarly do we need to make reservations for our other journeys during our stay at Zurich or simply go to station and board the available trains as per the Time table. Please advise.

Arno
    15481 posts
    22 May 2013 at 7:43:56 #838750

Hi Vipin,

It’s all explained on the Swiss Flexi Pass page I gave you. All details of the purchase options and how it works are there. There’s also a link to all information about reservations (you don’t need them, except for a few panoramic trains). Transport in Zurich is in the timetable as well (it won’t be available between about 0:00/1:00 and 05:00, depending on where exactly you’ll travel).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2013 at 10:43:10 #838751

Thanks Arno !!

Rest everything is clear but no where it is mentioned that these passes are readily available at Airport or Station and how much time it takes to buy ?Please advise.

Arno
    15481 posts
    22 May 2013 at 11:05:55 #838752

Hi,

There’s more information in this topic and by clicking “Show more information” of the “Buy in Switzerland” option on the Swiss Flexi Pass page. Just let me know if this is not sufficient.

• The thread ‘How to make best use of three days in Zurich .’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.