How to plan 9 days itinerary in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2016 at 12:56:17 #809089

Hi,

we are 4 adults and my 7months old baby travelling to switzerland in June we have ten days will be landing in Milan and flying out from Zurich . . . . Places we would like to cover is

lugano, zermatt, interlaken grinderwald and Zurich . . . What is the best way to travel by road or train and what all places should we see and cover in ten days

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 May 2016 at 14:43:39 #851534

Hi Gunisha, welcome to MySwissAlps!

A rough route could look like this: Lugano – ZermattInterlaken/Grindelwald (I suggest you stay in only one of these towns, and not in both as they’re quite close to one another) – Zurich. Zermatt and Interlaken/Grindelwald are in the mountains, so if you’re visiting Switzerland mainly for the Alps I’d spend most days there if I were you.

Public transportation is absolutely recommended, and in in most cases more relaxed than traveling by car. Please read about it here. Hotels close to railway stations can be found here, or in the “Hotels” sections of the town pages I linked to above. A rail pass will save you money, but in order to pick the right one you’ll first have to finalize your itinerary. This process is explained at our “How to choose" page.

There are lots of day trips and activities. Please refer to the pages below to find out what appeals to you and your travel party:

Our planning section will be useful too.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 May 2016 at 0:24:52 #851535

Hi Gunisha-

You got excellent guidance from Annika.

Travel in the high Alps is somewhat constrained until mid-June, due to snow remaining on roads and trails, and varying with altitude.

It is useful to know what time in June you are visiting Switzerland.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2016 at 1:23:27 #851536

We will be coming to Switzerland from 19 June to 28 June

Annika
    7116 posts
    8 May 2016 at 9:23:05 #851537

Hi Gunisha,

June is a great time for traveling. Just note that some high altitude hiking routes may not be accessible yet, but I’m not sure if you’re even interested in hiking. The suggestions above still apply. Did they get you started?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 May 2016 at 13:36:50 #851538

Hi Gunisha –

By late June, when you are traveling, the alpine resorts and towns are pretty much fully open for Summer season. Good time to travel. Wildflowers will be blooming,and that is especially nice if you can fit in a walk somewhere.

IF you decide to follow the route suggested by Annika, let us know. There are some especially scenic portions of that route to mention for you.

Also, you will find the timetable useful, as well as the other tools in the links Annika provided.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2016 at 18:31:25 #851539

Hi Annika /Friends,

I have almost similar plan but in mid July. My plan will look like below. Need your comments on this w.r.t:

• is it OK or i am staying over/under at any location?
    • Weather in July?
    • We are 3 adults (including a senior on wheel chair) and 1 baby (21 months). Is the itinerary below suitable for our group (due to wheel chair and baby stroller). All transportation is by rail. Please note senior is NOT handicap but can walk for short distance.

17-Jul Arrival in Milan

18-Jul Transfer from Milan – Lucerne. Overnight in Lucerne

19-Jul Excursion to Mount Titlis Overnight in Lucerne

20-Jul Wilhelm Tell Express Journey from Lucerne to Lugano via Flüelen & Bellinzona. Overnight in Lugano

21-Jul Bernina Express Overnight in St. Moritz.

22-Jul Glacier Express Overnight in Zermatt

23-Jul By Zermatt Bergbahnen AG to the highest cable car station.Overnight in Zermatt.

24-Jul Rail journey to Montreux. Overnight in Montreux

25-Jul GoldenPassLine train. Overnight in Interlaken

26-Jul The journey to the Jungfraujoch. Overnight in Interlaken

27-Jul Travel to Zürich via train,overnight in Zurich

28-Jul Transfer from Zurich hotel to Zurich airport

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 May 2016 at 19:13:46 #851540

Hi numanabid,

Please post this in a new thread. You’ll get more/better responses that way. Thanks!

• The thread ‘How to plan 9 days itinerary in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.