How to plan travel from Lucerne as base town

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2017 at 7:06:07 #810850

Dear Sir

we had booked tickets for 7 days , also booked room near main train station in Lucerne for 7 days. Gone through various forums i decided to made Lucerne as base town. I bought the switzerland travel pass of 8days. Now how to plan rest of the journey. kindly suggest us . we are three person in total, two adult and one kid of 10yrs. our travel date is from 24th may to 31 st may.. Return flight from zurich. My interest is scenic beauty and alps. Any other things, places to explore according to time, we have to start our journey from lucerne daily, please suggest us proper itinerary accordingly.

Thanks in advance to all for giving your valuable time.

Amit Shah

INDIA

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2017 at 10:31:10 #859163

Hi Amit and welcome to MySwissAlps!

From Luzern (local German spelling) there are many mountains and beautiful scenery to see quite close-by!

Take a look at the activities page for Luzern here. It will list the attractions and hikes that are available to you nearby: such as a boat cruise on Lake Luzern and Mt. Pilatus among others.

Another are to visit is in and around Interlaken, such as Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. There are also boat rides on Lake Thun and Brienz.

A couple panorama train trips are easily accessible from Luzern as well. The Golden Pass line to Montreux and the Gotthard Panorama Express to Bellinzona (which includes the Lake Luzern boat trip). Note, the Gotthard train only operates on weekends and holidays.

For non-mountain days, you can take trips to Zurich or Bern quite easily.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2017 at 17:27:38 #859164

Thanks Lucas for your suggestion. Is it possible to made a sample itinerary for us whatever u feel best and according to time. Afraid by many threads suggesting to avoid jungfraujoch and Matterhorn glacier from luzern. Do we get proper time to visit this places.

Please suggest us sample itinerary from luzern if possible.

Again many thanks to Lucas and their team.

Amit Shah, India

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2017 at 8:21:16 #859165

Hi Amit,

Unfortunately we don’t build itineraries and/or tours here. If you would like help with that please see this link.

What we suggest is that you read through our information pages, such as the activities page for Luzern that I linked in my first post and create your own itinerary based on what you would like to do. An example would be to visit Mt. Pilatus on one day and perhaps a city tour and a boat cruise on Lake Luzern on another day. There are quite a few more activities you could do in the area as well which you can read about here.

Also, read through what to do in Geneva and Interlaken as well as read through our information pages on Central Switzerland here, (of which Luzern is located) and the nearby Bernese Oberland.

Once you pick the activities you want to visit, and build a rough itinerary on your own, post it here and we can advise you if your ideas are possible or advisable and whether or not you will have enough time to travel to some of the areas you want to.

You can also find the train connections to and from towns and attractions with the Swiss railways timetable here.

Best regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2017 at 8:28:59 #859166

Thanks for making such a wonderful website where every information is available in detail. I will go through each link as suggested by you and get back to you with my own itinerary.

Again lot of thanks for your prompt response.

Amit Shah, India

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2017 at 9:23:48 #859167

No problem Amit!

I look forward to your itinerary!

Luas

• The thread ‘How to plan travel from Lucerne as base town’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.