How to reserve the Bus from Tirano to Lugano

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2017 at 4:38:08 #812332

Plan to take the Bernina Express from St. Moritz to Tirano this August and then connect with the Bus from Tirano to Lugano. I understand a reservation for this Bus is compulsory but unable to find any site for me to make such a reservation. Please let me know.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2017 at 6:53:23 #865442

Hi matmas, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can make a reservation on the following site:

http://www.rhb.ch/en/tickets-travelcards/bernina-express-booking/bernina-express

After choosing your preferred connection and filling in the number of adults and children, click the drop-down arrow in the Tickets/Reductions box and make the appropriate choice, depending on whether you want to buy a ticket plus reservation (choose “no reduction”), or just a reservation (choose the appropriate ticket or pass you will have).

Reservations can be made up to 90 days in advance and cost CHF 14 per seat.

By the way, a reservation for the train is also compulsory if you are taking the official Bernina Express (and not just a regional train along the same route).

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 June 2017 at 9:44:44 #865443

Hi matmas,

Earlier this year I had a problem booking a seat on the bus.

Below is what I wrote to RHB at the time.

I’m not sure if the website problem has been fixed.

“I had some trouble booking on the RhB website. I want to travel from Chur to Tirano 1st class then on to Lugano on the connecting bus in May. The problem is that if you nominate 1st class for the train when you get to reserve seats on the bus it shows none available. I ended up doing two bookings. One for Chur to Tirano (1st Class) and another from Tirano to Lugano (2nd Class).

When you choose 1st or second class at the start of the booking there is a little information icon which when clicked reveals . . .

Change of class for part of the journey

Would you like to travel in a different class for part of the journey?

Please reserve your seats in your chosen class then select the «Tickets already purchased» option.

You can purchase your tickets at the ticket office before you leave or from Railservice.

Your travel advisor will be pleased to help you. Tel. +41 81 288 65 65, railservice(at)rhb.ch. Daily from 7.00 am to 7.00 pm.

But if you do that and start off with 1st Class you still get stuck when you get to the bus which shows no seats available. So you still need to do it as two separate trips. If you start off with a 2nd class booking for the train then there is no problem when you get to the bus reservation.”

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2017 at 10:26:23 #865444

Thank you so much Apenrose, I finally got the hang of this website and was able to key in the appropriate info. Will try to book it later today.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2017 at 10:31:52 #865445

I hold a 2nd class Swiss Pass but wanted to upgrade to 1st class on this Berniner Express. There is an upgrade button that I can click on but there was no choice on the drop down menu for price reduction for me to put Swiss pass 2nd class……..the “Fee” remains the same 56 CHF just like booking a 2nd class.

Just not sure how I can pay the “upgrade” as we really like to upgrade this trip from 2nd to 1st class. If there any way that I can do this, appreciate your opinion and thank you again

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 June 2017 at 11:07:18 #865446

Hi matmas,

This is not a problem. Read here http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/around-switzerland-via-stp-flex-and-sbb-mobile-app and associated links.

Using the SBB app just make sure you set the passengers to be travelling Half-Fare (1/2) instead of fullfare (1/1) to get the right price.

You can also buy the class upgrade on the SBB website. Just nominate Haf Fare.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2017 at 16:04:43 #865447

Dear Rockoyster:

Thank you for your info. We just booked the 1st class online and pay the difference when we get there.

• The thread ‘How to reserve the Bus from Tirano to Lugano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.