Selecting economical train ticket for Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2016 at 7:30:34 #808319

Hi,

I and my wife will be visiting Switzerland from 7th April to 14th April, 2016

First we will reach to Zurich on 7th Night and stay there up to 11 th Morning and then proceed to Geneva on 14th April. Which rail pass shall be convenient for us during our stay. I mean to say that our journey shall cover Zurich Airport to Montana Hotel and then in between all travels to cover important Tourist spots in Zurich , then to Geneva — Geneva train station to hotel Geneva cottage then covering important tourist spots in Geneva and then finally to Geneva Airport.

Please advise the most suitable train Pass for us.

Thanks in advance for immediate feedback. On 14th we will depart from Geneva airport to Madrid Spain by air.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    24 January 2016 at 13:04:13 #847950

Hi smarty1581, thanks for posting here!

It’s a bit hard to recommend a pass right now, as the details of your itinerary are decisive. Do you plan to make side trips from Zurich and Geneva, for example? I’d strongly recommend so; both cities are nice, but it would be a shame to miss out on the Alps. Assuming you will be making side trips, you could look into an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. It will cover all regular train, bus and boat trips during your entire stay, it includes urban transportation in your base towns and provides discounts on mountain trips.

You’d best finalize your travel scheme first, and then start comparing passes as explained at our 'How to choose' page. If you’re not able to decide, please provide us with more details about your plans, so that we can make a better pass recommendation.

Does that get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2016 at 4:19:56 #847951

Thanks for you prompt reply. Of course we will make side trips.

Please advise the best ones to cover both in Zurich & Geneva . As i said we will be in Zurich from 7th Night. Effectively , we will get 8th, 9th , 10th –three (3) full days in Zurich & then in Geneva 11th Afternoon to 14th mid day.My hotels are already booked accordingly.

So based on that please suggest the best option. Looking forward to receive your reply soonest.

Warm regads

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 January 2016 at 13:42:45 #847952

Hi smarty1581,

Tips for Zurich and Geneva and their immediate surroundings are listed on our Zurich and Geneva pages; you can read the cities’ descriptions and explore the ‘What to do’ sections. Geneva is quite close to the mountains. Zurich is not, so you’ll have to include some long day trips if you want to experience the Alps. Lucerne is within reach, and you could visit mountains like Pilatus and Rigi, if you don’t mind leaving early and returning late. The timetable allows you to find details for each trip.

If you plan to make such trips, I indeed recommend an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. You can easily buy it as a print at home ticket, without any additional fees, from http://www.swissrailways.com.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2016 at 5:42:38 #847953

My sincere thanks for the guidance. Shall get in touch with you if additional information is required.Have a great day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2016 at 6:32:44 #847954

Hi Annika,Referring to your last mail please let me know once I buySwiss travel pass for Eight days in advance , how the discount can be availed /adjusted( as it states 50 % percent discount on many site visits including day trips ).It is noted most of the site tours require advance booking.Should I book these trips in advance then how can I avail the discount? Kindly advise, in the event of selecting first day (1) Mount Titlis or Mount Pilatus (2) Second day—Lake Lucerne or Rigi and (3) Thirdday—Rhine Falls including Best of Zurich City Tour, how the Swiss pass willwork out? Lastly please tell me —do the these tour conductors pick upthe travelers from Hotel Zurich Montana?Appreciate your reply soonest.Regards

Annika
    7116 posts
    30 January 2016 at 8:58:35 #847955

Hi smarty1581,

Where did you read that most tours need advance booking? In fact, most trips in Switzerland don’t have to be booked in advance. As for Titlis and Pilatus; you just go to the ticket office at the valley station and buy a discounted ticket showing your Swiss Travel Pass. The Rigi is for free, so here too you can just show your pass at the ticket counter. It’s also explained in the How to use section of our Swiss Travel Pass page.

The Swiss Travel Pass is meant for trips made by individual travelers. So generally, it doesn’t provide any discounts on guided tours offered by tour operators, such as the combined Rhine Falls and Best of Zurich City Tour.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2016 at 12:38:17 #847956

Hi,

While checking Pilatus travel plan, noted that Cogwheel rail is closed till the middle of month May.

What is the alternate for us since we are travelling on either 8th or 9th April? Please advise

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 February 2016 at 13:16:57 #847957

Hi smarty1581,

That’s correct, but the cable car will be operational. Details are in the timetable Annika gave you in one of her previous posts.

• The thread ‘Selecting economical train ticket for Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.