How to travel from Basel to Interlaken?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2017 at 9:48:57 #811244

I am travelling from Basel to Interlaken with a 4 day Swiss travel pass. Do I have to reserve seats in the Euro cities or ICE trains? Can I travel without making a seat reservation. Similarly I will be travelling from Interlaken to Lucerne and then from Lucerne to Zurich. Do I need to make seat reservations if I already have a Swiss travel pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 April 2017 at 11:19:38 #860864

Hi gbhavyaraj,

Seat reservations are very uncommon in Switzerland. You don’t need them except for a few scenic trains which are not on your list. All you need is your Swiss Travel Pass, and show it when requested. How to buy the pass can be found here.

Enjoy your trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2017 at 11:20:16 #860865

Hello, no reservations on this trips necesery. You can travel with all trains, and sit everwhere.

Only you must look to the right class, first or second. Make a nice trip !

Greetings from the Netherlands, Brahms

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2017 at 11:54:12 #860866

So I am also traveling from Basle to Interlaken. Is the rail station close to the airport? Will just have hand luggage. Also I didn’t realise there were different class carriages can you just confirm I must look for first or second. Thank you

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 April 2017 at 13:08:34 #860867

Hi bmillie,

Welcome to MySwissAlps. Here’s the airport information you need: myswissalps.com/airpor ts/basel. Whether you need first or second class is up to you, and your budget 😉 Please see myswissalps.com/train/ practical/2nd1stclass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2017 at 15:26:00 #860868

In trains with first and second class there is a “1” or “2” on each carriage. The second class is very good in European trains. The first class is very, very expensive but better……….

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2017 at 17:16:50 #860869

Excellent! Thank you both very much. I am now the proud owner of a Swiss Travel Pass which luckily could be delivered online and so in time 🙂

• The thread ‘How to travel from Basel to Interlaken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.