How to travel from Basel to Saas Grund

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2010 at 8:51:06 #803753

Hi, me and my family will visit Swiss from July 10 to 21. We will be staying in Saas Grund, probably using the Swiss Card. I understand that our route from Basel (airport) to Saas Grund could be either through Bern – Interlaken – Brig or Lucerne – Interlaken – Brig. The first one seems to be faster, but I’ve been told the second is way more spectacular as it includes a pass ride between Lucerne and Interlaken. Can both routes be completed within one day? I would also like to know if ‘one day’ for the inbound trip with the Swiss Card means 24h or one specific date. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    3 April 2010 at 11:03:13 #831043

Dear Hammer8, both routes can be completed within one day, but if you use the Swiss Card, this requires you to take the shortest route (the one offered to you by the Swiss time table). This would be the first route via Bern and Spiez (the train doesn’t pass Interlaken), taking about 3 hours.

The second route is actually a detour. Just as with the first route, you will eventually end up in Spiez as well and take the same route from there. The section between Lucerne and Interlaken, via Brienz, indeed includes a beautiful ride over the Brünig Pass along several lakes. This route would take 5h31 and can still be completed within one day (in Swiss Card terms, this is one date and not 24 hours). If you’d prefer this option, you would need either a Swiss Pass or a Swiss Flexi Pass, which doesn’t require you to take the shortest route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2010 at 5:44:26 #831044

Hi Hammer8, if you don’t really need your Swiss Card but could also use Swiss (Flexi) Pass, go for the Lucerne-Brienz route! It’s a beautiful ride and assuming that you won’t be in Switzerland that often, my advice is to see as much of the country as you can!

Bye, Jules

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2010 at 7:28:52 #831045

Thanks for your info, I’m still in doubt as I don’t know if a Swiss (Flexi) Pass would be such a great option. Once we’re in Saas Grund we won’t do that much travelling, a few shorter trips to the Matter valley or the Rhone valley, but that’s all, so would be a Swiss Pass be worth the money?

Annika
    7103 posts
    4 April 2010 at 10:50:39 #831046

If your inbound and outbound journey are the only longer train journeys of your stay, you shouldn’t buy a Swiss Pass. You may consider a 3 day Swiss Flexi Pass, which would offer you an extra day of free travelling. The price difference between a 3 day Swiss Flexi Pass and a Swiss Card is CHF 67,-, so if you would make one trip that would cost CHF 67,- less with your Swiss Flexi Pass during your stay this would be worth the extra money you’d spend. Prices of regular journeys can be checked by filling out the trip in the online timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2010 at 4:30:20 #831047

I don’t think we’ll be making another trip worth that much per person! Guess I have to stick with my Swiss Card and go for the shortest route to Saas Grund. Thanks though!

• The thread ‘How to travel from Basel to Saas Grund’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.