How to travel from Milan to Lucerne in one day?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2017 at 11:57:56 #812417

Hi,

I would like to travel form Milan to Lucerne via Bernina Express in August. However, according to my research on the train schedule, there is only 1 timing for Bernina Express that brings me to Chur which will reach at 18:20. The earliest train to from Chur to Lucerne is 18:39, would i be in time to change train in a short 19 mins?

Would it be advisable to do this route or is there any other better routes? Need some advice, your help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Xuan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    26 June 2017 at 15:31:34 #865836

Hi Xuan,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! 19 minutes is a lot of time to change trains. You really only need 5 minutes maximum.

The Bernina route is very nice. Another good one is the Gotthard Panorama Express. The links get you all the details so you can compare.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2017 at 14:22:19 #865837

Hi Arno,

Do i need to pre-book the train ticket from Milan to Tirano and also the train ticket from for Bernina Express if I have a swiss pass on hand.

Thanks.

Regards,

Yu Xuan

Annika
    7116 posts
    2 July 2017 at 18:41:41 #865838

Hi Yu Xuan,

You don’t have to pre-book tickets for Milan-Tirano. You can just buy tickets locally at Milan before boarding or through myswissalps.com/traint ickets/italy/price. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, the Bernina Express journey will be for free. No need to buy tickets, but you do need additional seat reservations and those are not included in the Swiss Travel Pass. Please see myswissalps.com/bernin aexpress/packages for seat reservations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2017 at 1:15:01 #865839

Hi Anika,

Thanks for sharing the link. Just to confirm i am booking it correctly, the reservation cost 18Euro.

I can’t seems to choose seat from the link you share me, do i have the option to choose seat or simply just book to guarantee a seat on that day?

Regards,

Yu Xuan

Arno
    15482 posts
    3 July 2017 at 9:17:27 #865840

Sounds all good! Indeed you can’t pick a seat. The reservation you’ll receive shows a car and seat number.

• The thread ‘How to travel from Milan to Lucerne in one day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.