How to travel in Switzerland

How to travel in Switzerland

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
junice
junice
3 posts
May 5, 2013 - 3:35 AM
Hi,

I would be visiting Switzerland next week with my friends. We are a group of 8. We would be at Lauterbrunnen from 13-15 May 2013, 15-18 May in Zermatt. How do we travel between these 2 places? What kind of passes should we get that is more economical and convenient? We are thinking of going to Jungfrau, how do we go there from Lauterbrunnen? Should we buy the tickets online??

Please help!
Thank you!!

Cheers
Junice
Arno
Arno
7716 posts
expert &
May 5, 2013 - 3:47 AM
Hi Junice, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

How to get from any place to any place can be found in the timetable. As for the best pass: please let us know all of the traveling you have planned (where do you come from, where do you go after Zermatt, what other day trips have you planned). Traveler ages and your country of residence helps too. Thanks! Here is how to calculate yourself.
junice
junice
3 posts
May 5, 2013 - 4:30 AM
Hi Amo,

We are from Singapore and is our first time to Switzerlnd. We are a group of young adults in our late 20s with two elderly in their fifties. We are planning to go to Matterhorn in Zermatt and Jungfrau from Lauternbrunnen. We are still planning our itinery, do you have any recommendations where else we should visit in Zermatt and interlaken?
I have been doing some research, from Lauternbrunnen we would need to take the train to Jungfrau and then a cable car to the top. I'm abit confuse with all the Swiss pass, there are so many kinds. Which one should we be getting?

Thanks Amo!

Cheers
Junice
Arno
Arno
7716 posts
expert &
May 5, 2013 - 6:27 AM
Hi Junice,

I assume you come from Zurich airport and go back there as well. Your best option is a Swiss Card for each person. You can purchase it here, and collect it in the People's Park Centre in Singapore (or have it shipped; expected delivery if ordered today is May 8). Don't forget to use the promo code as explained here. The Swiss Card includes the trip to Lauterbrunnen for free, and the trip back from Zermatt as well. You'll get a 50% discount on further trips, including the Jungfrau trip (it's a cogwheel train, not a cable car) and the lift to the Matterhorn.

Please see the forum and the rest of the site for many suggestion about what to do. I would recommend to do some hiking from Interlaken and Zermatt.
Last modified on Dec 28, 2014 - 4:31 PM by Arno
junice
junice
3 posts
May 5, 2013 - 9:17 AM
Thanks Amo,

I would be coming from Paris via train and after Zermatt we are heading to Milan via train too. Would Swiss flexi pass be a better alternative for us?

Cheers
Junice
Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
May 5, 2013 - 10:39 AM
Hello Junice. In the scenario you describe now (assuming an inbound trip from Paris via Basel?) a Swiss Card would still be a bit cheaper than a 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, but there's not much difference. Both passes would be fine. You can calculate for yourself using the link Arno mentioned in one of his previous answers.
Last modified on Dec 28, 2014 - 4:34 PM by Arno

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016