How to travel in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2013 at 1:35:45 #805957

Hi,

I would be visiting Switzerland next week with my friends. We are a group of 8. We would be at Lauterbrunnen from 13-15 May 2013, 15-18 May in Zermatt. How do we travel between these 2 places? What kind of passes should we get that is more economical and convenient? We are thinking of going to Jungfrau, how do we go there from Lauterbrunnen? Should we buy the tickets online??

Please help!
    Thank you!!

Cheers
    Junice

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 May 2013 at 3:47:34 #838538

Hi Junice, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

How to get from any place to any place can be found in the timetable. As for the best pass: please let us know all of the traveling you have planned (where do you come from, where do you go after Zermatt, what other day trips have you planned). Traveler ages and your country of residence helps too. Thanks! Here is how to calculate yourself.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2013 at 4:30:43 #838539

Hi Amo,

We are from Singapore and is our first time to Switzerlnd. We are a group of young adults in our late 20s with two elderly in their fifties. We are planning to go to Matterhorn in Zermatt and Jungfrau from Lauternbrunnen. We are still planning our itinery, do you have any recommendations where else we should visit in Zermatt and interlaken?
    I have been doing some research, from Lauternbrunnen we would need to take the train to Jungfrau and then a cable car to the top. I’m abit confuse with all the Swiss pass, there are so many kinds. Which one should we be getting?

Thanks Amo!

Cheers
    Junice

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 May 2013 at 6:27:58 #838540

Hi Junice,

I assume you come from Zurich airport and go back there as well. Your best option is a Swiss Card for each person. You can purchase it here, and collect it in the People’s Park Centre in Singapore (or have it shipped; expected delivery if ordered today is May 8). Don’t forget to use the promo code as explained here. The Swiss Card includes the trip to Lauterbrunnen for free, and the trip back from Zermatt as well. You’ll get a 50% discount on further trips, including the Jungfrau trip (it’s a cogwheel train, not a cable car) and the lift to the Matterhorn.

Please see the forum and the rest of the site for many suggestion about what to do. I would recommend to do some hiking from Interlaken and Zermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2013 at 9:17:08 #838541

Thanks Amo,

I would be coming from Paris via train and after Zermatt we are heading to Milan via train too. Would Swiss flexi pass be a better alternative for us?

Cheers
    Junice

Annika
    7103 posts
    5 May 2013 at 10:39:27 #838542

Hello Junice. In the scenario you describe now (assuming an inbound trip from Paris via Basel?) a Swiss Card would still be a bit cheaper than a 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, but there’s not much difference. Both passes would be fine. You can calculate for yourself using the link Arno mentioned in one of his previous answers.

• The thread ‘How to travel in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.