How to travel to different places from Lucerne?

How to travel to different places from Lucerne?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
rshah1284
rshah1284
4 posts
Jan 4, 2016 - 9:15 AM

Hello,

Me and my husband are planning to visit Switzerland in September 2016. We are planning to stay in Lucerne for the entire trip and travel to other places from there. We wish to visit Interlaken, Berne, Zurich, rhine falls, Mt. Titlis, Mt. Jungfrau and Genewa. Will these places be a good option if we plan to stay in Lucerne. Also it will be a 7 day trip. Do we need to cut short some places?

We also plan to use public transport throughout the trip. I believe there is some pass which when we buy , the public transport becomes free for all modes of transportation. Also is september an ideal month to visit? Or are summer months June/July better?

Please help. Thanking you in anticipation.

Arno
Arno
7722 posts
expert &
Jan 4, 2016 - 1:25 PM

Hi rshah1284,

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps. September is a wonderful month to visit. Mount Jungfrau (Jungfraujoch is the name of the place you'll actually visit) and Geneva require a lot of traveling time. Single journeys take 4h15 (Jungfraujoch) and 3 hours (Geneva). Whether that's worth it is up to you. There's plenty to see much closer to Lucerne if you feel this is too much: myswissalps.com/ lucerne/activities.

The pass you mentioned is the Swiss Travel Pass: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass.

rshah1284
rshah1284
4 posts
Jan 4, 2016 - 1:30 PM in reply to Arno

Thank you Arno for your prompt reply. What about the other places which I mentioned apart from Genewa and Mt. Jungfrau? Will it be possible to visit the other places? Also if you could tell me the other places near Lucerne, that would be great :)

Thank you Arno :)

Arno
Arno
7722 posts
expert &
Jan 4, 2016 - 1:38 PM in reply to rshah1284

You're welcome! The other places are perfectly doable from Lucerne. Although Interlaken itself (the town), is not really worth a visit. It's more like a practical hub, not a sightseeing destination. The surrounding region is wonderful though. For other places to visit please see the link I gave you.

rshah1284
rshah1284
4 posts
Jan 4, 2016 - 1:45 PM in reply to Arno

Thank you so much Arno. If I further need assistance, I would again contact you soon :) Lastly will the Swiss pass you mentioned before work to travel to the places I want to visit?

Arno
Arno
7722 posts
expert &
Jan 4, 2016 - 2:24 PM in reply to rshah1284

Hi rshah1284,

The Swiss Travel Pass (not Swiss Pass, that's only for Swiss residents, see here) will work well for your trip. Please see here for what's included.

Feel free to post back here if necessary.

rshah1284
rshah1284
4 posts
Jan 4, 2016 - 2:26 PM in reply to Arno

Sure , thank you :)

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2657 posts
expert
Jan 6, 2016 - 2:58 AM in reply to rshah1284

Also, if you use the time table or other services, watch the spelling of Geneva.

Slowpoke

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016