How to travel to Gornergrat

How to travel to Gornergrat

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
abhra
abhra
1 post
Aug 22, 2015 - 3:49 AM

Dear

I am planning to visit Zermatt in Oct. Is eurail select pass is valid for travel from Brig to Zermatt and Zermatt to Gonergrat ?

While coming down is it possible to walk down from Riffelalp to Zermatt ?

Thanks

Abhra

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2656 posts
expert
Aug 22, 2015 - 4:05 AM in reply to abhra

Here is a map with trails

map.geo.admin.ch/?X=95919.56&Y=624002.82 &zoom=8&lang=de&topic= swisstopo&bgLayer=ch.s wisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe

It is roughly an 800 meter descent. Before it reaches the road, some of the trail(s) is fairly steep. Do you have booots or hiking shoes with sturdy lugged soles?

Are your legs and knees in good shape?

The rail line to Gornergrat is shown on that map. Trains run roughly twice per hour.

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke.

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Aug 22, 2015 - 4:51 AM in reply to abhra

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Abhra!

The Gornergrat railway is not included. Please see myswissalps.com/ eurailselectpass/ validity for details about what's covered.

lkdf62
lkdf62
17 posts
Aug 23, 2015 - 5:57 PM in reply to Arno

Abhra,

I did not check the map (link) that was included with the reply from Arno but the last I traveled on a Eurorail pass to Zermatt I was surprised to learn that the portion of the journey from Visp to Zermatt was not included. We were required to pay cash for our tickets while we were on the train because the hand-held credit card terminal the agent used was not able to connect server to process the transaction.

As Arno said in his reply... "Please see myswissalps.com/ eurailselectpass/ validity for details about what's covered."

Happy travels - with no surprises!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016