Hut to hut hiking in June 2010

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2010 at 23:11:03 #803861

Hello Hello,
    We are hoping to take a 3 day hike the last week in June. I know it has been cold and am not sure where we will be able to hike and not have to worry too much about snow… walking over a little snow is fine.. but we do not have cramp ons or any technical equipment. We would also love to stay in little huts that you have to hike to instead of hotels in small towns… we love beeing in the outdoors and camping but do not want to carry our pots and pans and tent. We are in our early 30’s and don’t mind a long day but would rather hike about 6 hours a day and relax and enjoy ourselves… a little shorter or longer is not a problem…. we are not picky just love beeing outside in the mountains and beautiful sceanery…any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 May 2010 at 9:45:50 #831383

Hello aktode, and welcome to this forum!

The snow is indeed something to watch out for. That goes for any time of the year by the way. Even in mid-July, snow may cover high altitude trails for a couple of days when bad weather sets in. So please be sure to check the local conditions the evening before you leave (the tourist office can help), or, if possible, the morning you leave. For now, a way to prepare and find a suitable route could be to find a not too high hut first, and then construct a route to and from that hut.

The Swiss Alpine Club has an excellent website to find (and book) huts. You can first select your preferred region and then start looking for huts located at lower altitudes which are catered in June. For example: the Glärnischhütte is located at 1,990 m and catered in weekends in June. The nearby Bockmattlihütte is opened during weekends as well and located at 1,500 m. Just an example of two huts that are less likely to be covered in snow in June, and in the same region so you could combine them into one long route.

I hope this helps. Hut to hut hiking is not my speciality. Perhaps other forum visitors can provide some tips as well. It would be great if you could post your final planning here!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2010 at 15:44:51 #831384

My proposal:
    Day 1
    Train to Engelberg
    Hike (or cablecars): Engelberg 996m – Flüematt – Ristis 1600m – Brunnihütte 1860m, 2.30 h:
    http://brunnihuette.ch/
    http://www.sac-engelberg.ch/sitee/index.php?content=brunni

Day 2:
    Walenpfad Brunnihütte – Bannalp – Chrüzhütte 1713m
    At the moment the trail is yet closed, but I think until end of June, it will be open. See:
    Open trails: http://www.brunni.ch/aktuell/oeffnung-bahnanlagen.html

Day 3:
    Chrüzhütte – Haghütte – Sinsgauer Schonegg 1924m – Sulztal – Gitschenen 1550m, 4 h
    Cablecar or walk down to St.Jakob 960m (1.30 h)
    Bus to Flüelen train station

Annika
    7103 posts
    7 June 2010 at 12:40:17 #831385

Hello muveran, thank you for posting such a detailed route! I hope this helps you out, aktode!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2010 at 8:46:41 #831386

Thanks you so much for your suggestions and detailed hikes….What a great help!!!! So would you choose Engelberg over grindelwald? I was thinking about Grindelwald, faulhorn and first… untill I read your post. is Engelberg just as beautiful but less touristy? again thank you so much
    aktode

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2010 at 5:31:38 #831387

The Faulhorn hike is just as beautiful; but as it is 2681m high, the hut opens only at the end of June http://www.berghotel-faulhorn.ch – maybe too late for you?
    On the other hand, the walenpfad over Engelberg is still closed at the moment – just watch the mentioned site “open trails”.

Both attractive places are touristy in summer holiday (starting 7th July), but before – if you don’t choose a weekend – you will enjoy the landscape almost for yourselves…

• The thread ‘Hut to hut hiking in June 2010’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.