I confused about Swiss pass and Interrail pass….

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2013 at 15:50:20 #806049

Hello!
    I’m miki, I’m Japanese but I study at Denmark for 10 month.

Now I and my friends plan to go trip around switzerland for 8 days in this summer! 🙂

But I don’t know which shoud I buy Interail ticket or Swiss pass.

We are just students, so somehow I want to take cheaper travel….

My plan is …..

Geneve – lausanne – coira – Zurich – basel – PARIS – (AMSTERDAM)(not sure…)

we also want to take a mountain train,

so Geneve – coira, we plan to go by south route 🙂

Please help us, someone….. ;(

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    30 May 2013 at 13:06:33 #838877

Hello miki. Based on your information, it’s hard to say which option is best. Generally, I’d say an 8 day Swiss (Youth) Pass is best if further traveling outside of Switzerland is limited to a few trips such as Switzerland-Paris and Paris-Amsterdam. If more intensive traveling in these countries is involved, a Eurail or Interrail Pass might be more convenient. But you’ll only know for sure if you make your plans as detailed as possible and do the math as explained here. Please carefully compare all details of the Swiss Pass, Eurail Passes and the Interrail Pass.

Here are some things to consider:

• I’m not sure whether you’re eligible for Interrail Passes. They’re meant for residents of Europe, so you should possess a Danish passport or a permit;
    • if you can’t use an Interrail pass but do intend to buy a pass that’s valid for more countries, you should look into Eurail Passes instead. Most of them come in 1st class only though;
    • if you plan to take the Glacier Express to travel from Lausanne to Chur, note that it would be for free with a Swiss Pass, but partly discounted with a Eurail Pass. This might make an important difference;
    • if you’re under 26, you can get an 8 day 2nd class Swiss Youth Pass. That would be the cheapest solution of all Swiss Pass variants.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2013 at 8:50:11 #838878

Hi,
    Sorry about hijacking in this topic. Our family of three will travel to Switzerland for about two weeks. We will stayin Zurich for the first night, and then take train to Brig and do some hiking near the area. One the 2nd day, we will take Glacier express from Brig to Davos. We will stay in Davos for about a week. Two of us will go some hiking or day trip near Davos. We then will go back to Zurich and one of us will leave Switzerland. Two of us will continue travel to interlaken for three nights and Lucern for two nights, then leave Switzerland from Zurich.

What kind of Swiss pass should we get?

Should we get the pass outside of Switzerland or at Zurich airport?

Thanks for your help.

Lin

Annika
    7104 posts
    14 June 2013 at 10:27:47 #838879

Hi Lin. Would you please open a new topic for your quesions? They’re not closely related to the original question. Thank you :-)!

• The thread ‘I confused about Swiss pass and Interrail pass….’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.