Info about Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2012 at 13:57:13 #805467

Hi,

My family and I will be visiting Switzerland for the first time next month (super excited) !
    We are stopping over on our return trip, flying from Delhi back to New York.

We are carrying a fair bit of luggage. On arriving at Zurich, we plan to deposit the heavy pieces of luggage at the airport
    and then travel light. We’ll be departing from Zurich again, hence, we can pick up the luggage.

I’d appreciate if someone could please advise on the following queries :

1. As per the Zurich airport website, they have a “Left Luggage” office, where we could deposit our luggage. Has anyone used this facility ? Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

2. After deposting the luggage, we plan to buy Swiss Passes for the family and depart for Montreux. Can we buy Swiss passes at the airport ?

3. Any suggestions on buying a SIM card at the airport ? Where to buy one ?

4. On our return, our flight out of Zurich is at 5pm, and we’ll be reaching Zurich at 10am. Any suggestions on what we could do in about 4-5 hours – take a city tour etc. Many folks on the forum have mentioned that Rhine Falls is a must-see. Is this doable in 4 hours ?

Thanks and Regards,
    Kamal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    23 July 2012 at 5:50:19 #836700

Hi Kamal. I’m not familiar with the airport left luggage service, but I do know that the SBB railway station at the airport has a baggage department as well. You can contact the SBB to find out whether you can leave your luggage there or, alternatively, use the lockers.

As for Swiss Passes: yes, they can be bought at the airport railway station, but this isn’t necessarily cheaper. Just out your country of residence, number of travelers and preferred pass type in the upper right corner of the Swiss Pass page to compare resellers and prices. Please note that displayed prices for online resellers can get lower (and thus more economical than a local purchase) if you use the Rail Europe promo codes.

You could try a Lebara SIM card or ask for alternatives at the Swisscom shop at the airport or at the main railway station of Zurich.

A single trip from Zurich to the Rhine Falls takes about 1h15, so yes, that’s doable. A great altnerative is a city visit to Zurich including the old town centre, the lake, viewing point Uetliberg, and so on.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2012 at 22:41:10 #836701

Hi Annika,

Many Thanks for your reply.

Much appreciated !

Regards,
    Kamal

• The thread ‘Info about Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.