Inputs on the planned itinerary for 7 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 8:31:21 #809239

Dear Arno, Annika, and the experts.

First of all, a big Thank You to all of you. The information here has been very valuable in preparing for the trip. Kudos for providing the platform and for all the people taking time out to guide the vistors. Much appreciated.

We are a family of 4. Me and my wife, kids aged 10 and 15. We are looking forward to making a trip to Switzerland this weekend for 7 days. The itinerary (as planned so far) is as follows:

• 22nd: Land in Zurich in the afternoon and proceed to Luzern.
    • 23rd: Make a trip to Mt. Titlis. If time permits later in the day visit the transport museum
    • 24th: Make a trip to Mt. Pilatus. If time permits later in the day do a lake cruise.
    • 25th: Travel to Interlaken to stay there. Visit around town.
    • 26th: Make a tirp to Jungfraujoch.
    • 27th: Travel to Zurich to stay there. In the afternoon, do a lake cruise. (Open to any ideas).
    • 28th: Take the Bernina express round trip.
    • 29th: Leave from Zurich.

Would like to get your inputs/suggestions to this. Further, also looking for inputs on specific items below:

a) Does it make sense to do a full round trip in Bernina Exp or travel half way and turn back. If so, what would be a good point to go up to. And what would be the fastest way to get back?

b) Should we do both Mt. Titlis and Mt. Pilatus or do just one of them and try something else for next day.

c) Assuming Swiss travel pass is better for us compared to regional Bernese Oberland pass. Pls confirm.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,

Feroze.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15479 posts
    18 May 2016 at 9:03:45 #852230

Hi Feroze,

I’m glad to hear we’ve been useful for your trip! Thanks for mentioning that. Which month will your trip be?

a) We’re currently discussing that in this thread. Personally I don’t think it makes sense to travel from Interlaken up to Zurich and then do a very long day trip down south with the Bernina Express. The Glacier Express would fit your itinerary better. For example: on the 27th, take a train to Brig, and board the Glacier Express to St. Moritz. It covers half of the Bernina Express route too. Stay one or preferably two nights before going to Zurich.

b) That’s completely up to you. Both are very different. Please see the Titlis and Pilatus pages, and the other options in the region.

c) Yes, definitely. Most of your trips are not in the Bernese Oberland, so a Swiss Travel Pass is better. Please see here for where to buy and further details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 11:57:50 #852231

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the response. We are traveling this month (May).

The reason for trying for Bernina round trip from Zurich was that we would be flying out of Zurich and also did not want to carry all our luggage in multiple connecting trains. Will consider your suggestion of the Glacier express.

If we were to do part of the Bernina round trip from Zurich, which stop would you suggest we go up to? And, what would be the fastest way to return back? Assuming that we would not want to take more than 6-7 hours for the entire trip?

Regards,

feroze.

Arno
    15479 posts
    18 May 2016 at 12:33:22 #852232

Hi Feroze,

I understand the luggage issue. The thing I wanted to make sure you knew about is that the fastest way back is the same route. So you see the same scenery twice. You could travel as far as St. Moritz, have a stroll around the lake, then take a train back via Sagliains and Klosters to Landquart. From Landquart it will again be the same route back to Zurich, but at least you have some variation that way. This suggestion includes half of the Bernina Express route, but not the actual Bernina Pass. To see that, you should travel as far as Alp Grüm, or even better: Poschiavo. You can check the timetable for schedules. It will be a long day.

Another option is to do part of the Glacier Express as a day trip. This is explained on the Glacier Express page I referred to in my previous post.

I would recommend to get the print at home Swiss Travel Passes. That’s an easy option and it saves you time as you can board the first available train straight upon arrival, rather than waiting for a ticket office to get the pass. However, it takes a few days to process and e-mail orders, so the only option left at this point is to go to your local Indian site at http://www.raileurope.co.in/p ass/swiss-travel-pass-82. They still sell print at home passes for next Sunday. You can get a discount as explained here. Today is probably the last day they can issue passes for Sunday.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 14:22:48 #852233

Oops! Didn’t realize that online passes would take more than a day to get the email and print. SInce we are leaving on Saturday night (21st night), i guess we lost the window to buy the passes online.

Can these passes be bought once you land in Switzerland? I had read in the FAQ that these are not sold in Switzerland.

Any other option or any other pass that can be bought in short notice or once we land in Switzerland?

Regards,

feroze

Arno
    15479 posts
    18 May 2016 at 15:05:52 #852234

Hi Feroze,

You can buy like I explained in my previous post. They will issue the pass in time for you to print it before you leave. And since it’s via e-mail you can even have it printed in a hotel if needed. Most passes, including the Swiss Travel Pass, can be purchased in Switzerland as well, as long as you go to a staffed train station during opening hours, and take along all passengers and passports. It takes more time, so it’s convenient to have the passes in hand when landing so you can go to your train immediately. Would be a waste of time to miss a train just to buy a pass.

• The thread ‘Inputs on the planned itinerary for 7 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.