Interlaken and Montreux – What to do

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 2:02:25 #811513

Hello

Firstly let me thank you all for such a great forum with so much information. This has been very helpful.

We (couple + 8 year old son) are doing a 10 day trip incl. 3 days in Lucerne, 4 days in Interlaken and 3 days in montreux. I was able to get information on Lucerne in this forum so thanks for that. I will be covering Titlis and Rigi and some local sightseeing incl. the Swiss Museum of Transport.

Will be using the Golden Pass line to move from Lucerne to Interlaken and then to Montreux

I have the following questions

– What is possible in 4 days in Interlaken ? I am planning to cover Jungfrau on one day and Murren on another day. What else I can do in the remaining 2 days ? Lake rides is an option but is there anything else I could do.

– I have 3 days in Montreux and I was planning to cover the cheese and chocolate factory and the local sightseeing at Montreux. Looking for more ideas here. Is visiting Lausanne/Vevey a good idea ?

Thanks

Shyam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 8:44:20 #862012

Hi Shyam and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Here are a few links to help you in planning your days in Interlaken – towns and activities in the Jungfrau region. There are also hikes listed there that are available in the region that could interest you as well. I think a boat cruise on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz is always a good option when you need/want a break from the mountain trips.

For Montreux activities click here, Rochers-de-Naye is an excellent option after a day of chocolate and cheese. Vevey is an easy trip from Montreux as is Lausanne, although with 3 days only in Montreux I might not worry about them for your first trip.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 6:30:09 #862013

Thank you Lucas

Based on the information you gave, I could put together a plan for 2 out of 3 days.

Day 1 – Grütschalp – Mürren trail and Trummelbach falls. hopefully this will work in the first week of May

Day 2 – Explore lake Brienz. Are there any good walking trails around the villages near brienz

Day 3 – This is where I need some help. I was looking to do the Mannlichen – Kleine Scheidegg trail but learnt that it would be closed in May. I would there in the first week of May so wondering what else I could do. Should I start the trail a little lower from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp. Or is there some other trail you would recommend ? Or should we just hang out in places like Wengen, Kleine Scheidegg without hiking too much. I have two things to contend with i.e. the first week of May being snowy and an 8 year old who wants to feel like he is exploring the mountains. So trying to balance the two 🙂

Thanks once again

Shyam

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 6:34:52 #862014

I forgot to add that I also reviewed First to Grosse Scheidegg. Is that a trail we could do in the first week of May

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 6:50:45 #862015

Hi Shyam,

I don’t think so Shyam no – you can check when you are in the area for hiking options but snow pack would be too high for First to Grosse Scheidegg (around 2000m) to be open this early – Zurich got some snow last week (didn’t stick around) but winter in the mountains is still very much in full swing!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2017 at 9:27:03 #862016

Hi

Following up on my question – In Interlaken, are there any activities that we can look forward to for kids (other than walking and exploring) ? What places are best suited for some kids activities

Thanks

Shyam

• The thread ‘Interlaken and Montreux – What to do’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.