interlaken to venice?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2015 at 11:40:28 #806965

Hi, Please guide me as I am travelling first time to Europe.I live in India and I am planning a trip to Paris-Switzerland-Venice in early week of May and thinking of using Rail as the means of transport.One of my friend suggested me to buy a 2 country Euro Rail pass for France-Switzerland (as I am going to stay for a week in total there) and buy a single ticket for Switzerland(interlaken) to Venice as I am going to stay in venice for 1 day only.Please let me know if this will be best for my trip or else suggest me some other alternatives.

1. Is it worth to buy 4 country EuroRail Pass covering France,Switzerland and Italy (Please keep in mind my days of stay in the countries)

2. Can I buy rail ticket from Interlaken to Venice at the station itself (no advance purchase) as I am currently looking at RailEurope website and on a particular date trains for 13:11 time is not available but is available on sbb.ch website though I cant buy it in INR.

3. If in case any good coach service available to travel from Interlaken to Venice

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 March 2015 at 7:16:04 #841974

Hi karan6112,

1. A rail pass is worthwhile for countries where you travel a lot. With only a single trip Paris – Switzerland and Switzerland – Venice, for example, you do not need passes covering France and Italy. So you first need a detailed itinerary, including town to town transfers and day trips (feel free to post your plans here). Then choose your pass. This guide helps you choose if you are interested in getting the cheapest option. In most cases, a pass dedicated to Switzerland works better than a Eurail Pass. Please see here for all passes, and be sure to download the maps of passes you’re interested in so that you can see what’s included.

2. You can, but I do not recommend that. Most trains to neighboring countries require seat reservations, and may be fully booked if you buy that late. Just purchase a ticket online along with your rail pass. The same applies for France to Switzerland.

3. Trains are the best choice. There are no long distance bus lines in Switzerland.

• The thread ‘interlaken to venice?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.