Interlaken Unspunnenfest 26 Aug – 3 Sep 2017

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 14:18:05 #868079

Thanks sir! Great information for all our members!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 14:57:45 #868080

Thanks,That is a most useful heads up as I would be in interlaken during that time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2017 at 15:23:39 #868081

Hi all,As suggested by you I did look up the Swiss timetable and found that it showed high occupancy for the day I am planning to travel from interlaken to zermatt on 2nd September. So how do I go about booking a reservation for that route and what would be the rates of reservation.I shall be buying a Swiss pass. Have downloaded the Swiss mobile app.

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 0:19:45 #868082

Hi Rijusree,

>> Hi all,As suggested by you I did look up the Swiss timetable and found that it showed high occupancy for the day I am planning to travel from interlaken to zermatt on 2nd September. So how do I go about booking a reservation for that route and what would be the rates of reservation.I shall be buying a Swiss pass. Have downloaded the Swiss mobile app.

For the most scenic route, put “From Interlaken Ost” “To Zermatt” “Via Kandersteg” into your timetable search. This route will enable you to see the lovely mountain scenery instead of going underneath it in the Lötschberg-Basistunnel, but will take about an hour longer.

Regardless of whether you decide to travel the default route through the tunnel, or the scenic route, the high occupancy is just for the sector between Spiez and Visp or Brig. Seat reservations cost CHF 5. You can make reservations on the following page:

http://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/ b2c/sprache.do?en

Reservations can also be made in the SBB App. Start with the timetable, select a connection, carry on as if buying a ticket, but when you select a ticket, select “Seat Reservations for Switzerland”. You might have to expand the ticket options to see the reservation option.

Alpenrose

alexcherian
    Participant
    7 posts
    17 August 2017 at 3:19:38 #868083

HI Alpenrose,

Thank you for sharing these vital informations. These are delicious events for my eyes and ears and we are thrilled to visit those days. A festival which gives you traditional arts in a single location and that too once in 12 yrs….

Thank you,

Alex

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2017 at 1:33:52 #868084

>> Thank you for sharing these vital informations. These are delicious events for my eyes and ears and we are thrilled to visit those days. A festival which gives you traditional arts in a single location and that too once in 12 yrs….

You’re welcome, Alex. I hope you enjoy it. I wish I could be there too!

When I was in Switzerland last year, I managed to attend a cultural event, an “Alpabzug”, when the cows are led down from the high alpine pastures before the winter snow sets in.

If you are interested, you can read about it here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/alpabzug-seewis-im-praettigau-8-october-2016

These will be happening again between about mid-September and mid-October in various parts of Switzerland.

Alpenrose

Mageo
    Participant
    63 posts
    19 August 2017 at 9:48:29 #868085

Hello Alpenrose,

Thanks for all the info re. the Interlaken Festival. We plan to be there for the final weekend. We went to the final day of the last festival which was held in 2006, postponed for a year because of severe storms and floods. We hadn’t heard of the festival until our host suggested we should attend the Grand Parade. It was a wonderful time of seeing Swiss culture from the different cantons, so are looking forward to seeing even more this time.

We also plan to attend the Désalpe de Charmey,

September 23, from 9:30 am, in the canton of Fribourg.

Mageo

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 4:26:03 #868086

Hi Mageo,

Lucky you! Going to both the Unspunnenfest AND an Alpabzug/désalpe!

Hope you have a wonderful time at both and bring back lots of good memories.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 21:39:54 #868087

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the information. I would be in Swiss during 27th to 1st. I have already bought a Swiss travel pass for my entire trip. I will be in Lucerne on 28th to 30th Aug and In wengen from 31st to 1st September.

What care should I take during this festival. I am planning a day in Interlaken for a boat rides and exploring city.

• Shall I do the reservation for my journey from Lucerne to Wengen via Interlaken on 31st Aug?
    • Is any part of the festival that I must not miss and will be a good experience with a young kid? Where to attend?
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 2:00:51 #868088

Hi Shembekar, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> What care should I take during this festival. I am planning a day in Interlaken for a boat rides and exploring city.

Well, it will be more crowded than usual, especially between Friday afternoon and Sunday. Apart from the festival, Interlaken has little to offer the tourist, so if you are not wanting to see any activities at the festival, I would go somewhere else for the day.

>> Shall I do the reservation for my journey from Lucerne to Wengen via Interlaken on 31st Aug?

That’s a Thursday, so the trains probably won’t be as crowded as Fridays or the weekend. However, if it were me, I would travel first class that day from Luzern to Lauterbrunnen, and make a reservation for the sector Luzern-Interlaken Ost. (First class is not available beyond Lauterbrunnen, and reservations are not possible between Interlaken Ost and Wengen).

>> Is any part of the festival that I must not miss and will be a good experience with a young kid? Where to attend?

You won’t be there for the Grand Parade on Sunday 3 September, which would probably be the most interesting free activity. In view of the short time you are in the area, if I were you, I would give the festival a miss and spend my time in Wengen, Mürren, Grindelwald and taking a boat ride on Lake Brienz or Lake Thun. Interlaken itself has little to interest the tourist when compared with those mountain villages.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 6:45:13 #868089

Thanks a lot for your reply Alpenrose 🙂

• The thread ‘Interlaken Unspunnenfest 26 Aug – 3 Sep 2017’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.