Interlarken to Montreux via Visp by train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2016 at 6:48:17 #809123

Is the train from Interlarken to Montreux via Visp a scenic route to travel. I have booked this journey but feel the Golden Pass via Zweisimmen might be more scenic.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    7 May 2016 at 11:49:43 #851676

Hi bubble, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’m afraid this route isn’t the most scenic one. You’ve probably booked the quick tunnel connection to Visp, which isn’t very interesting. Please note that you don’t have to book such trips in Switzerland. Seat reservations aren’t required, and as long as you have a valid pass or ticket while traveling you can just board and find a free seat. If you’re able to cancel your booking, these are the more scenic alternatives I’d recommend:

• Interlaken (not Interlarken ;-)) – Spiez – Brig – Montreux, using the regional Lötschberg train rather than the tunnel connection. You can find details by entering Interlaken as your departure station, Montreux as your destination and Goppenstein as a via-station in the timetable;
    • the Golden Pass.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2016 at 6:09:54 #851677

Thank you Annika for your reply. I have found it quite difficult to choose the best value for travelling for our trip in Switzerland. If you can help further it would be great to have your comments if we cancel our raileurope tickets. We have booked accommodation as follows =. 2 nights in Lucerne, 2 nights in Interlarken and 2 nights in Montreux. We then fly out from Geneva. What would be the best pass to buy or should we just buy tickets for each section. With thanks.

rajababu
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 May 2016 at 6:38:30 #851678

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding our travel to Switzerland from Amsterdam. We are family of 4 – myself, spouse and our 2 children aged 13 & 15. We will arrive in the morning of 6th June, 2016 and have reserved hotel in Interlaken for 2 days (on June 6 & 7) and planning to visit nearby Jungfraujoch and Mt Titlis. Thereafter we would like to do two scenic train routes – the Golden Pass line and Glacier Express but have just another 4 days. We would like to see Lucern too before taking the train but unsure which route to take, where to stay and places to see once we get going from Interlaken. We are flying back from Zurich to India on June 12th morning so need to complete both these train routes if not fully at least in part between June 8-11th. Kindly advise. Would appreciate your valuable recommendation.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 May 2016 at 6:59:22 #851679

Hi rajababu,

Please post this in a new thread as your questions are not related to the discussion here. Thanks!

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 May 2016 at 8:25:21 #851680

Hi bubble,

Note that the town is called Interlaken. Buying tickets at the station is not a good idea as I assume you have also planned mountain trips by cable car, cogwheel trains, etc. These are very expensive without a pass. I think your best bet is the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass. Please see the below pages:

• The thread ‘Interlarken to Montreux via Visp by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.